Plaster mix

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK1

If I make up a bucket of plaster and it is too runny, can I just leave it until it has hardened a little?

I would say add more powder, everyone will say dont but a few handfuls never hurt anyone. You may just have less time to play with it. ::)

I never use to like my mix too runny! Then I found myself working really hard to spread it and now, I prefer my mix to be runny i find it easier to use (just have to be quick with it!).

With regards to your fingers feeling numb I cant say i've found that.  
I do sometimes find my arm or shoulder aches but I do a few stretches before I start throughing plaster about.  You wouldn't have a hard work out down the gym without stretching would you?

You'll soon get a feel for it and working with a pro he'll soon tell you how he wants the mix!  ;D

C

I always mix mine wet, prefer it for speed. always try and get your mix right first time dont go adding water and powder cos this wastes a lot of time and speeds up the setting time and also if you over mix it it goes off quick.

you get the knack soon I use one black bucket of water to just short of a bag and this is about right.

Danny

i have three different labourers and each mixes different! used to get arsey wiv em but now I just look at it and put it on the wall. As you can guess I'm no purist! So long as it stays on the trowel I'll get it on the wall!!

welcome to the forum,

When I used to labour they used to wine that i never give them the same mix twice then i said if you were as good a spread as you think you are you can use anything.... then they stopped wining and then every mix was the same as the last...lol

Danny

lol
hi danny thought I'd come take a look.

Have to agree with your last. Within limits a decent plasterer should be able to work to the gear.

Mind you a solid lump or dirty pond water may be difficult.

Mind you I'll have a go.......

personaly i like my mix quiet stiff, however i reckon a stiffer mix is ok for smaller areas (cuts down the waitin around time to trowel up) and weaker mixes better for larger areas as it spreads further quicker! i worked for an ass of a labourer for 5 yrs and if the mix was too wet as it normaly was towards the end of a hard day i;d get it thrown over me or pushed off the spot stand so hard it went all over me anyway... always try and get ur mix rite 1st time, never add anythin to it even a few minuets after mixin it!! mix it and use it asap...

as for the numbness, ive found im gettin cramps in me hand!!! you lower your thumb past a certain point after a days plastering and it just cramps up and bends round on its own!!! awful feelin! i have to grab it and bend it back!!!! :-/

oooer!! sounds like you might be gripping too tight. Your knuckles shouldn't go white!! ;)

I would say add more powder, everyone will say dont but a few handfuls never hurt anyone. You may just have less time to play with it. ::)

So you'd just scrape it back into bucket and add a little bit more?

a tip i like

when mixing up your slop and you think your pretty close pull your whisk out (rememer to stop it before doing this ;)) and if any of it drips back into the bucket you need more powder.. add more bit by bit until you've a consistancy that none of it falls back into the bucket..works for me & this way it wont fall of your hawk with the slightest movement..

when mixing I like to get it nearly there then create some peaks in the mix. Pick up one of the peaks with a gauging trowel and if the peak just stays the same shape but loses it when you move the trowel side to side it's ready. If it slops into a pool then its too wet and if you sway the trowle and it doesn't move it's too stiff.

Oh and if it smells of chocolate it's probably ice cream ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.