Plasterboard wrong way up

Members online

Good evening gents , not long back from doing a quote for a customer . They’ve had a friend /builder in to do the works , he’s studded ceiling & walls celotexed it etc . Problem being he has not only nailed everything his managed to put the boards grey side showing . My question is will this be an issue when coming to skim on it , wasn’t too sure if the backing may come away once the plaster penetrates into it ? Look forward to the replies . Many thanks

Good evening gents , not long back from doing a quote for a customer . They’ve had a friend /builder in to do the works , he’s studded ceiling & walls celotexed it etc . Problem being he has not only nailed everything his managed to put the boards grey side showing . My question is will this be an issue when coming to skim on it , wasn’t too sure if the backing may come away once the plaster penetrates into it ? Look forward to the replies . Many thanks
You skim grey side

Fcuk it skim it it says skim other side on the plaster boards and if they can’t see that it’s wrong or choose to ignore it then that speaks volumes, you’ll probably find they’ve got another friend/plasterer to do the skimming and wasting your time to get a quote cus theyll be looking to get it done cheap

skim away
it will be fine

Errrrmmmm your not a plasterer are you......

@malc is 100% correct, i had this conversation with a BG tech about 20 years ago.
However it will be fine to skim onto (though you will not get any recompense from manufacturer if it fails) and as soon as you cut a board you no longer have the paper wrap round to the other side anyway.

When they changed the boards to plaster white side. We'd just boarded 2lids was sitting on the floor having a fag , when the lab looked up and said why does it say do not plaster this side.

We had an engineer out to site once ...said we'd boarded it all wrong.

SHOWED her a board that said which side to plaster but she said no. We had to pva.

So we never pvad and told her we did.

We had an engineer out to site once ...said we'd boarded it all wrong.

SHOWED her a board that said which side to plaster but she said no. We had to pva.

So we never pvad and told her we did.
more fake news.

This is all highly amusing

If this is a genuine post my advice is to examine the board , in particular the folded edges , for hollow contact
The paper joins that overlap from front and back wraps are not always glued together suficiently and delaminate when skimmed ,

Yerrrr welcome

I wouldn't be willing to take a wage from skimming dodgy boarding - you'll be implicitly assuming partial responsibility if it all goes wrong.

I'd either walk away or tell 'em you'll only quote 'em if they have the boards flipped over (or boarded over the top, if they refuse to remove the existing ones).

Is it really worth the hassle of your hard work falling down, through no fault of your own, but being expected to sort it after it's gone pear-shaped?

Walk away and let some other mug take a wage they'll later wish they hadn't.

I wouldn't be willing to take a wage from skimming dodgy boarding - you'll be implicitly assuming partial responsibility if it all goes wrong.

I'd either walk away or tell 'em you'll only quote 'em if they have the boards flipped over (or boarded over the top, if they refuse to remove the existing ones).

Is it really worth the hassle of your hard work falling down, through no fault of your own, but being expected to sort it after it's gone pear-shaped?

Walk away and let some other mug take a wage they'll later wish they hadn't.
The skim will not know the board is upside down.
It will be fine trust me.