Plastering across a Plasterboard / block threshold

Members online

Si_Cha

Hi all,

Help please - first time poster, be gentle.

I've studded out a doorway were blocking off and plasterboarded. The plasterboard finishes flush(ish) with the original blockwork and I 've got about a further 20-30mm blockwork around the plasterboard before the original plaster begins (photos attached).

Can someone let me know the best way to plaster across the two with a view to trying to avoid any cracks in the future. The blockwork is a bit 'gappy' in some areas but generally OK.
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG

Any advice appreciated, thanks. Si.

Knock a bit more plaster off around the edge then cut a piece of plasterboard off an 8x4 sheet and dab flush with the existing, going over the joint. Tape the joint, prime the wall and skim the complete wall.

Hi Flynnyman, thanks for replying so quickly - appreciate it.

I did think about overlapping the join with another sheet of plasterboard but the existing plaster is only 6mm- 7mm deep. So even a sheet of 9.5 mm leaves me proud of the existing plaster?

Hi all,

Help please - first time poster, be gentle.

I've studded out a doorway were blocking off and plasterboarded. The plasterboard finishes flush(ish) with the original blockwork and I 've got about a further 20-30mm blockwork around the plasterboard before the original plaster begins (photos attached).

Can someone let me know the best way to plaster across the two with a view to trying to avoid any cracks in the future. The blockwork is a bit 'gappy' in some areas but generally OK.View attachment 17341View attachment 17342

Any advice appreciated, thanks. Si.
I would have bought the studwork a little more forward then dabbed that end - then the board is covering the whole join so no risk or cracking

Metal stud would have been best.
However any way you can let the board bridge the wall/stud like the lads have said is best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strip of lathe
Thanks, Davy. I was considering this as the path of least resistance. I don't really want to dab the entire wall if I can help it. Having removed the original plaster at the top of the doorway it's revealed strips of Lathe so I'll try to replicate this by pinning some lathe to the brickwork down each side of the doorway?

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I've seen rolls of that metal mesh in B&Q etc. Sounds like a plan, any suggestions how best to fix the mesh to the brick or is a hessian mesh a better option in this instance?

What's the best way of attaching the hessian across the join? Or do I just plaster it in to place, so-to-speak? Thanks.

If you have some pva then mix it around 5/1 and paint it on the bricks let this dry.
Mix a small amount of multi finish with a handful of bonding and fill in the crack before spreading over the brick and board then place your precut length of hessian onto it.

If you have some pva then mix it around 5/1 and paint it on the bricks let this dry.
Mix a small amount of multi finish with a handful of bonding and fill in the crack before spreading over the brick and board then place your precut length of hessian onto it.
Nice one, thanks.

Silly question time. Once I've completed the process as described and the hessian is set within the mix - should I wait for it to go off prior to commencing the bonding coat proper across the rest of the plaster boarded area, building out the level over the hessian?, or can I just crack on whilst its still wet (or doesn't it matter?).

I've got about 8mm of plaster depth to make up, so the plan was 6mm of bonding and 2mm of multi finish once the bonding has gone off. (Apols, I can turn my hand to most things but my plastering experience is minimal). Cheers.

Silly question time. Once I've completed the process as described and the hessian is set within the mix - should I wait for it to go off prior to commencing the bonding coat proper across the rest of the plaster boarded area, building out the level over the hessian?, or can I just crack on whilst its still wet (or doesn't it matter?).

I've got about 8mm of plaster depth to make up, so the plan was 6mm of bonding and 2mm of multi finish once the bonding has gone off. (Apols, I can turn my hand to most things but my plastering experience is minimal). Cheers.

I suggested mixing a small amount as I assumed you had other prepping arounder the other edges of the board.
Just crack straight on an apply your bonding and use a wooden straight edge to rule off gently. Apply a top coat of multi finish after the bonding has firmed up maybe after an hour or two. If the wall is small skim the whole thing don't try to patch it.

I suggested mixing a small amount as I assumed you had other prepping arounder the other edges of the board.
Just crack straight on an apply your bonding and use a wooden straight edge to rule off gently. Apply a top coat of multi finish after the bonding has firmed up maybe after an hour or two. If the wall is small skim the whole thing don't try to patch it.
Gotcha - thanks for taking the time to reply.