Plastering an exterior wall

Members online

omoeko

Hi All.

Just planning an external render using sand cement, scratch coat and also final coat. In the current weather, what kind of material to use.

The thickness I need to achieve is 20mm, what kind of mix do I need to have, what kind of waterproofer. Is waterproofer same as a plasticier. I have seen this Silka product, looks too good to be true. Anyone have any experience with Silka integral waterproofer, otherwise what is the best brand to use for a very smooth shiny finish?

Thanks in advance.

Hi All.

Just planning an external render using sand cement, scratch coat and also final coat. In the current weather, what kind of material to use.

The thickness I need to achieve is 20mm, what kind of mix do I need to have, what kind of waterproofer. Is waterproofer same as a plasticier. I have seen this Silka product, looks too good to be true. Anyone have any experience with Silka integral waterproofer, otherwise what is the best brand to use for a very smooth shiny finish?

Thanks in advance.
:frenetico::frenetico::frenetico::frenetico:

Hi All.

Thanks in advance.
Wet Wall:whistle:

It was the only solution I could think of for a very shiny finish and a depth of 20mm, and as he has requested the same info on another forum I thought it was an appropriate answer, seen a plumber using it in a bathroom refit, built out bad walls 20mm and slapped on wet wall simples. very shiny finish indeed!!:D

It was the only solution I could think of for a very shiny finish and a depth of 20mm, and as he has requested the same info on another forum I thought it was an appropriate answer, seen a plumber using it in a bathroom refit, built out bad walls 20mm and slapped on wet wall simples. very shiny finish indeed!!:D

There's always Unifinish.

More seriously. The Chinese do plastering a bit differently. Even down to how they hold the tools.

I think they finish with a steel trowel, much like polished concrete.

There was a bloke doing it with a hand hawk board that was more like a cheeseboard. The handle on the side and a totally different technique but I can't find it now.

If you search now, there's a madman plastering with his hawk board (seems to involve chucking a lot of it on the floor) and a couple of ropey dorises doing Tomboy plastering, whatever that is. (Looks much like normal plastering but a bit slow.)

More seriously. The Chinese do plastering a bit differently. Even down to how they hold the tools.

I think they finish with a steel trowel, much like polished concrete.

There was a bloke doing it with a hand hawk board that was more like a cheeseboard. The handle on the side and a totally different technique but I can't find it now.

If you search now, there's a madman plastering with his hawk board (seems to involve chucking a lot of it on the floor) and a couple of ropey dorises doing Tomboy plastering, whatever that is. (Looks much like normal plastering but a bit slow.)
They'd make you look amateur, good plasterers look like they moving slow...that's the key efficient not fast

They'd make you look amateur, good plasterers look like they moving slow...that's the key efficient not fast

Shhhhh.... you'll spoil my bite. Don't forget that I've never pretended to be a full time spread, so I'm sure they would.

Anyway... I found the Chinese fella.

Last edited:
I honestly can't work out if the guy is plastering using the pots and pans from his takeaway and using his wife as labour or if that's how it's done in Hong Kong.

He seems to have some trowel skills.

I suppose the proof is in the finish.

What do you lot reckon?

Unless the wall has been recently built, you will need to clean it well – remove any loose paint, and dust or loose debris, plants growing up it, scrub off any mould with a bleach, or fungicide solution, and hose down the wall to remove any dust and dirt that could stop the render from adhering.
After washing down It will be Okay to render the wall if it is still damp but do not try and render while it is still running with water.

Try to make sure you have a couple of fine days to do the job in – if it rains too soon after you apply the render, it will be washed off the wall. A little forethought here could be handy so think about fixing a tarpaulin or strong polythene sheeting to the top of the wall you are working on so if the rain does come down you can simply drop the protection to keep it dry.