Plastering over artex

Members online

Jimbob87

I had a job doing a kitchen ceiling that was artexed but not really thick artex. I Pva'd it 3 times and before I put a backing coat over I made sure that the PVA felt tacky. I mixed half carlite bonding and half multi finish and applied it to ceiling. The next day I went back to skim it. I Pva'd over backing coat before skimming. However one part of the ceiling there was a lump. I pushed it up with my trowel and realised that it was sagging and started peeling off back to the artex. What may have caused this? As I Pva'd it 3, times before applying backing coat.

I had a job doing a kitchen ceiling that was artexed but not really thick artex. I Pva'd it 3 times and before I put a backing coat over I made sure that the PVA felt tacky. I mixed half carlite bonding and half multi finish and applied it to ceiling. The next day I went back to skim it. I Pva'd over backing coat before skimming. However one part of the ceiling there was a lump. I pushed it up with my trowel and realised that it was sagging and started peeling off back to the artex. What may have caused this? As I Pva'd it 3, times before applying backing coat.

Use bonding 240 mate

Sounds like by Applying 3 coats of pva you killed the suction mate.... Remember grasshopper! suction doesn’t have to just be your enemy it can also be your friend! :coffe:

Love a good suction
Ohh yes please!! Same ere!
7B067E4A-4BC5-4EFA-9A38-1E9DC3C18CD9.gif

Sounds like by Applying 3 coats of pva you killed the suction mate.... Remember grasshopper! suction doesn’t have to just be your enemy it can also be your friend! :coffe:

It should still have gone tacky again once the gear had been applied, I just use micro now.
Anyway get back to your sunbed and tequilas you ponce. :)

I'm not agitated. Don't know why you seem to always think so. I'm just asking a question - like everyone here does. The only person I can see here who is not relaxed, is you, with me.
I'm not agitated. Don't know why you seem to always think so. I'm just asking a question - like everyone here does. The only person I can see here who is not relaxed, is you, with me.
FIGHT!!!!!

52CCC7D7-07E9-4406-8FE3-0F842E2D4F1F.gif

Hi maltman777. I Pva'd it 3 times because after just a couple of coats of pva, the ceiling didn't feel tacky. It didn't even feel like I had put any on. And 2ndly I left it a day before skimming it because I didn't have time to skim it that day. Because I did a big bathroom ceiling too before hand in that day.

Not sure wots going on . For the last time scrape the lid pva it . If it’s a one day job I put a 2 kw heater in the room have my sandwich etc read the sun then chuck 2 coats of multi on it job done . Wots happened is the paint or the artex has come off the ceiling underneath it happens sometimes . Pva doesn’t have to be tacky much better if it’s bone dry no one has ever contacted to me to say it’s fel off. Hope this helps mate.

I never wait for it to go tacky now... I only skim over it once it has dried... never have any issues :D

I see you did bonding and skim mix... If I am skimming over it the next day I would have binned off the finish and used bonding 100% then just skimmed it...

Also I find that just skiming it with a bit of bonding in the first coat works well... also if it needs 3 coats to get it perfect then apply 3 coats :D

3 coats of pva?
wait to go tacky then skim it with zombie mix then back next day pva and skim?
fucks sake why do people insist on complicating their lives so much?
1 f**k**g coat of pre-grit on that then back next day 2 coat multi if thin artex job done
do some people actually know what the f**k they are doing on here?