Plastering over failed artex

crackerjak

20171117_174457.jpg
20171117_174457.jpg
Good evening all,

After some advice on this one. I am redecorating a spare bedroom in our house that we have never used, its going to be our sons new bedroom. The ceiling can be seen in the photos, the paper tape used to joint the boards had failed and began to come away from the ceiling, so i have removed it all.

If i re tape will it be a simple case of plastering over the artex?

Or am i gonna have to try and remove all the plaster on the boards?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20171117_174450.jpg
    20171117_174450.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 301
Underboard with new plaster board & skim.

Simple every day job for a plasterer mate if you ring a local spread.

Reactions: tcd
Just fire up some 2x1 where the tape was will give a nice cottage effect to the place :D

A simple re skim aslong as the original boards and artex are solid. I always like to fire in some fresh screws on the joints on a ceiling thats had that happen

A simple re skim aslong as the original boards and artex are solid. I always like to fire in some fresh screws on the joints on a ceiling thats had that happen
You’d reskim after seeing artex peeling like that? Not a chance for me that’s an underboard job.

I would just seal then build out where the tape has been pulled out with multi finish. Give it an 45 mins to set then skim the ceiling. I find if tapes are set to deep in plaster it cracks again. God knows why? Tapes set deep would sometimes fail back when I used to artex .. Strange that but what I found. I'm never keen on boarding because of the weight but it's what many do with no problems, and it is a sure fix. I can't handle 8x4 boards on my own so well these days .... Even with a board lifter as carrying big sheets through houses without damaging or marking anything is no fun. The problem with the ceiling is it was taped, sealed all over then artexed. The artex has stuck where sealer was used but not where it was taped.. I always sealed ceilings before taping when I used to artex to avoid your problem..

Take a look at wayners post and it says it all. Only the tapes failed not the artex.
Nah mate look at the first two pictures in the op, the tape has failed yes but also the artex around it has flaked off. Personally I wouldn’t risk it, some maybe would and it could be ok, if just rather not take that chance

Take a look at wayners post and it says it all. Only the tapes failed not the artex.
Nah mate look at the first two pictures in the op, the tape has failed yes but also the artex around it has flaked off. Personally I wouldn’t risk it, some maybe would and it could be ok, if just rather not take that chance

I've never done any artexing. I'm curious to know why paper tape is/has been used?

On the face of it, it seems that paper would be likely to fail as the artex won't be able to bond - much like skimming over wallpaper? Would scrim be unsuitable for some reason?

I've never done any artexing. I'm curious to know why paper tape is/has been used?

On the face of it, it seems that paper would be likely to fail as the artex won't be able to bond - much like skimming over wallpaper? Would scrim be unsuitable for some reason?
Im old enough to remember when all ceilings were artexed and iv seen both paper and fibre tape. Ceiling lines would be fibre tape and the board joints on the ceiling paper

View attachment 20286 View attachment 20286 Good evening all,

After some advice on this one. I am redecorating a spare bedroom in our house that we have never used, its going to be our sons new bedroom. The ceiling can be seen in the photos, the paper tape used to joint the boards had failed and began to come away from the ceiling, so i have removed it all.

If i re tape will it be a simple case of plastering over the artex?

Or am i gonna have to try and remove all the plaster on the boards?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
I would overboard it, the original board is the wrong way round so you can’t trust the existing artex. Tapes probably come down because they are meant to be stuck up the day before