Plastering over internal brick

josel

Hi all,
I have bought a house built in the 70's. The one wall in the bathroom that is half plastered when it was 1st built. The bottom half is back to the bare brick as the previous owners for some reason decided to take off the plaster.
Anyway I know I need to PVA the wall but undecided to use brrowning plaster or dry wall plaster. Then a top coat as I will be tiling over it.
I cant use plasterboard as the depth is only about 8mm.
Can anyone advise me if this is the right way of doung it?

Thank you in advance.

Hi all,
I have bought a house built in the 70's. The one wall in the bathroom that is half plastered when it was 1st built. The bottom half is back to the bare brick as the previous owners for some reason decided to take off the plaster.
Anyway I know I need to PVA the wall but undecided to use brrowning plaster or dry wall plaster. Then a top coat as I will be tiling over it.
I cant use plasterboard as the depth is only about 8mm.
Can anyone advise me if this is the right way of doung it?

Thank you in advance.

Just clean the dust off the brick pva and use bonding

No pva before hardwall/browning as it's for medium suction.
Just give the wall a good drink.
Only use pva when bonding as it's for low suction.
Just saved you a tenner in pva there...

Thank you all.
If i put tiles straight over the bonding plaster wont it suck the tile adhesive dry whilst the bonding plaster is drying?
Ive been told to wait for at least 4 weeks before i put any tile adhesive over bonding plaster.

Is it because of the suction and drying time?

No its to do with the weight, I can't remember exactly what the reason is but I think bonding isn't designed to hold the weight of the tiles. BG always recommend a finish coat is applied over bonding before tiling.

No its to do with the weight, I can't remember exactly what the reason is but I think bonding isn't designed to hold the weight of the tiles. BG always recommend a finish coat is applied over bonding before tiling.
Tile straight onto bonding wil be fine..i bonded my mums bathroom top to bottom in bonding 6 years ago a tiler fully tiled it with heavy big tiles aswell and no probs at all..

Tile straight onto bonding wil be fine..i bonded my mums bathroom top to bottom in bonding 6 years ago a tiler fully tiled it with heavy big tiles aswell and no probs at all..
Probably BG just covering themselves or making sure they sell more product. A bit like only using thistle bondit and not pva

So bonding can't take the weight of tiles but it can take the weight of finish and tiles...? I tile over bonding. No callbacks yet...

So bonding can't take the weight of tiles but it can take the weight of finish and tiles...? I tile over bonding. No callbacks yet...

It does sound stupid but it is on their data sheet somewhere. I thought it was a bit like how silicone will stick to paint but paint won't stick to silicone

You shouldn't put tiles straight onto bonding.

Been told this as well. If your grout lines crack and moisture gets behind tiles, bonding can soften up again over time and tiles can come off. Tiler mentioned this to me few years ago after he seen me tiling over it :loco:
Don't know if he's right but I stopped tiling over it after this!

Been told this as well. If your grout lines crack and moisture gets behind tiles, bonding can soften up again over time and tiles can come off. Tiler mentioned this to me few years ago after he seen me tiling over it :loco:
Don't know if he's right but I stopped tiling over it after this! Yep this is true mate, happened to me in my own house, I tiled my own bathroom around bath so wanted the walls nice and straight, straightened them out wi bonding an eventually blew right off at shower and was abit of a mess behind them once off. I would always fill out in sand cement where possible in bathrooms or anywhere water can get near.

Gypsum products are the worst mats to put into a wet environment, they act like a sponge

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk