Plastering Up To An Angle

It will definitely help with that yes. The more you go over the first coat the flatter it's going to be when you apply the second which makes it much easier and ultimately better finish. If it's thick artex chuck slightly more bonding in first coat
Ok so flatten off the first coat straight away, then again shortly after. Wait, then lay on second coat. I think most of where I am going wrong is on the timing aspect then!

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean?
Was trying to figure out myself... I think he means keep the trowel fairly flat?

I'd trowel over again just before you mix up second coat aswell. 3 trowels in total for first coat. And only second coat when it's pretty solid to the touch, if you leave marks when you touch it it's to soon

When skiming artex you don't want to put your second coat on to early as you get a dimpled/ripple effect. Let it take up a bit more than usual and apply your second coat.

Was trying to figure out myself... I think he means keep the trowel fairly flat?

I'd trowel over again just before you mix up second coat aswell. 3 trowels in total for first coat. And only second coat when it's pretty solid to the touch, if you leave marks when you touch it it's to soon
Always try to keep trowel flat as poss for as long as poss . . Got told to think your using rivets will help .