Plastering upstairs stone wall

Members online

mddsnjc

03C0493A-5825-463D-8F63-FFB2EF426929.jpeg
hi all, new on here so apologies if in completely in the wrong place! After some advice regarding some plastering I need doing. Mid terrace stone property and all the existing plaster has been removed. Random stone walls throughout. Most upstairs walls have been battened and boarded except the front and rear walls (external). Walls are dry and show no sign of damp, solid walls with no cavity. Few different opinions floating about from plasterers who have taken a look - one suggested cement rendering with waterproofing agent and then dot and dab boarding to give smooth finish. One suggested building internal frame and boading as normal and one suggested dot and dab using insulated board?? The wall is extremely uneven and deviates upto 3” in the height! Not sure which is the best advice? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks
Nick

Traditionally built homes with solid stone or brick walls would typically require vapour permeable or breathable materials. Also solid walls are known for being cold in winter and bleeding heat very quickly. For example solid stone wall with as built thickness of 225mm would deliver U value of just 2.75 W/m2K which improves to 1.50 W/m2K for 600mm thick solid wall. U value is a measure of how quickly wall bleeds heat to outside and the target U values for new homes are about 0.30 and for traditionally built homes about 0.70

Based on above I'd suggest Bauwer insulation if house owner is looking to improve thermal performance and comfort in the home. Otherwise, i'd suggest breathable base coat P16 from Vimark render or fibre reinforced Monochrome grey base coat which could be skimmed with vapour permeable Plastex GB1.

I've attached few photos of a recent Bauwer internal insulation project:

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 413
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 419
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 486
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 478
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 425
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 378
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 396
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 408
Similar to Zolco, I'd say batten, insulate & board (prob cheapest way to bet a plumb wall in this case). An air gap will allow moisture in the wall to evenly distribute. It may seem dry now, but if you stick something non-breathable on then you'll soon find damp patches. Seen it in an 1800's cottage that a landlady had renovated. Gypsum plaster everywhere and damp blooms everywhere.

Studding out will also make it easier to fit any electricalness.

Has anyone ran Bauwer light through Ritmo yet ? Is it possible? Also can Bauwer light be skimmed with the gb1 too ?
I got two biggish jobs to look at and one wanted a skim coat if possible that could be used on the Bauwer and the same finish on other walls that aren’t having Bauwer light , so they kind of matched up

Has anyone ran Bauwer light through Ritmo yet ? Is it possible? Also can Bauwer light be skimmed with the gb1 too ?
I got two biggish jobs to look at and one wanted a skim coat if possible that could be used on the Bauwer and the same finish on other walls that aren’t having Bauwer light , so they kind of matched up

think @Curry has been

It won't go through as powder without the bionic shaft. We have been mixing and pouring in. Works ok ish.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It won't go through as powder without the bionic shaft. We have been mixing and pouring in. Works ok ish.

Can skim over with gb1 but we have been doing airless over it.

If I had another bauwer light job I would definatley get the new shaft.

Spray on, rule straight away then spat 5 mins later. Then leave it! It can be I beamed back the next day.

Can skim over with gb1 but we have been doing airless over it.

If I had another bauwer light job I would definatley get the new shaft.

Spray on, rule straight away then spat 5 mins later. Then leave it! It can be I beamed back the next day.

Are you going over Bauwer light with gb1 without Bauwer finish?

Are you going over Bauwer light with gb1 without Bauwer finish?
No system is bauwer light, bauwer finish then what ever you wish to top it with. The bauwer finish gives it a tougher topcoat

Think I might of got one the other week. About £120?? What’s the difference in the bionic and the lightweight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No system is bauwer light, bauwer finish then what ever you wish to top it with. The bauwer finish gives it a tougher topcoat

Yes, it's what I do and mesh with Bauwer finish. Bauwer finish is like Bauwer light, but tougher. Was thinking many times if you can apply other finishing coat directly over Bauwer light and thought you have done it :rolleyes:

Yes, it's what I do and mesh with Bauwer finish. Bauwer finish is like Bauwer light, but tougher. Was thinking many times if you can apply other finishing coat directly over Bauwer light and thought you have done it :rolleyes:
No sorry it's definitely a long system but we just price accordingly

Think I might of got one the other week. About £120?? What’s the difference in the bionic and the lightweight?

Bionic is the shaft that's designed for light weight material. Its a spiral shaft that forces the material downwards towards the mixing zone.

a804d3faee2e23d6f43556c7cff8c546.jpg
is that the bionic? Got it for hardwall.

I've not seen one but from what I've been told that looks like it. Did it come with a new motor slot thingy?

I've not seen one but from what I've been told that looks like it. Did it come with a new motor slot thingy?

No other end is just same as the normal paddle. Les said he was trialing one and to hang fire them Gemma emailed saying some had come in. Was originally saying I wanted to spray bauwer light so I hope it’s the right one. Only one way to find out. Sure it said bionic on the bill when it come though. Was no pictures on the website when I was trying to order. All new to me this stuff.

No other end is just same as the normal paddle. Les said he was trialing one and to hang fire them Gemma emailed saying some had come in. Was originally saying I wanted to spray bauwer light so I hope it’s the right one. Only one way to find out. Sure it said bionic on the bill when it come though. Was no pictures on the website when I was trying to order. All new to me this stuff.

I think its all new stuff to everyone. Let me know how you get on