Plastic pipes

JessThePlasterer

Queen Jess Elizabeth I
they really get on my tits. @imago do you use these on your builds? And do you channel them? Should people be channeling them? The joints are massive makes quite a difference when dabbing.

Plumbers are getting lazy and expect you to dab over them. Same with sparkies and their metal boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone use splastic cos it carries a 15 or 25 year warranty, and the fact all these swanky plumbers in their posh vans can't do a decent soldered joint on copper and don't want to invest in a pipe press to make it look mint.

Everyone use splastic cos it carries a 15 or 25 year warranty, and the fact all these swanky plumbers in their posh vans can't do a decent soldered joint on copper and don't want to invest in a pipe press to make it look mint.
But In 15-25 years it all going to fail miserably. The rubber on the joints will go brittle and crack. Rubbish.

But In 15-25 years it all going to fail miserably. The rubber on the joints will go brittle and crack. Rubbish.
We had a few floods about 3 years ago, the plumber who done the heating 10 years ago, thought it would be a good cost saving exercise not to use any pipe inserts lol

they really get on my tits. @imago do you use these on your builds? And do you channel them? Should people be channeling them? The joints are massive makes quite a difference when dabbing.

Very rarely, and never in walls. Like any other building material they have their uses and place, but they're not a complete replacement for copper. They really took off when copper prices went mad, and people started using them for everything.

They're quite good under wooden floors due to their flexibility and also they don't expand as much as copper so don't tend to cause the creaking and knocking that copper does if it's not fitted well. They can be handy for awkward stuff when doing refurbs on kitchens and bathrooms. They're also handy if whoever's using them is cr4p at soldering.

The acid test for me selecting materials is what I, or any other trades-person would do in their own home. I've plumbed in the en-suite and kitchen in the extension on my place, all in copper and the same will happen when I do the old bathroom next year. If plastic was better suited I'd be using that.

BTW, chasing pipes or cables into walls I use a wall chaser like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJuu8NupgNgCFZKnGwodOusLAg quicker and neater than getting all Neanderthal with a lump hammer and bolster. (y)

You want to try go over the gas pipe he leaves proud ... ended up with the styllsaw on the next few.
I didnt no this but he said it would come back on me if i hadnt bladdered it in adhesive to protect it from air holes he had covered it with tape aswell .. or is he bullshitting me to cover his back.

Very rarely, and never in walls. Like any other building material they have their uses and place, but they're not a complete replacement for copper. They really took off when copper prices went mad, and people started using them for everything.

They're quite good under wooden floors due to their flexibility and also they don't expand as much as copper so don't tend to cause the creaking and knocking that copper does if it's not fitted well. They can be handy for awkward stuff when doing refurbs on kitchens and bathrooms. They're also handy if whoever's using them is cr4p at soldering.

The acid test for me selecting materials is what I, or any other trades-person would do in their own home. I've plumbed in the en-suite and kitchen in the extension on my place, all in copper and the same will happen when I do the old bathroom next year. If plastic was better suited I'd be using that.

BTW, chasing pipes or cables into walls I use a wall chaser like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJuu8NupgNgCFZKnGwodOusLAg quicker and neater than getting all Neanderthal with a lump hammer and bolster. (y)

Yeah I think it's the laziness of how some people fit them and on the walls is a mither

As I'm sure you know Jess the back of the board should only be 10mm away from the blockwork. Obviously it will vary but I'm f**k*d if I'm making a whole wall thicker just because of a lazy plumber.

As I'm sure you know Jess the back of the board should only be 10mm away from the blockwork. Obviously it will vary but I'm f**k*d if I'm making a whole wall thicker just because of a lazy plumber.
Exactly, you end up cutting out for them at times it's so annoying!

Exactly, you end up cutting out for them at times it's so annoying!

I don’t! If they aren’t prepared to sink their pipes, the dabs are the same thickness as the pipe plus pipe clip. Plus if that means the board is out past the door lining, they can either get new linings or plant some extra timber on.

I don’t! If they aren’t prepared to sink their pipes, the dabs are the same thickness as the pipe plus pipe clip. Plus if that means the board is out past the door lining, they can either get new linings or plant some extra timber on.

Fair enough they are a thorn in the side

You want to try go over the gas pipe he leaves proud ... ended up with the styllsaw on the next few.
I didnt no this but he said it would come back on me if i hadnt bladdered it in adhesive to protect it from air holes he had covered it with tape aswell .. or is he bullshitting me to cover his back.
Should be solid dabs down both sides, so if there is a leak it will only come out of the channel you left, rather than around the back of the boards.

I used plastic in my place because I needed long runs of pipework and did not want to risk any leaking joints other than at either end :D

Has its places... Great for feeding through stud work/joists etc. Would never chase it into a wall, especially with couplers. I've never had an issue with it leaking, always use inserts, but even though its been around for ages, still a tad skeptical of its life span.

Regs say no-no to burying potable water in wall and it's just a shite idea as you'll have a cold spot on the wall. CH pipes buried are just as bad an idea (underwall heating?). You sure as hell shouldn't have any buried joints, thats a non-starter for copper or plastic.

On the occasions when you can do it, it should be run seamless in a conduit to allow expansion/contraction. If it's potable water then it has to be in a covered channel that can be accessed for inspection (apparently).

Plastics so easy to use, there's no excuse for bad design. There's always a partition nearby that you can use as a drop. Put over 2000m speedfit in a nursey not long ago and not a single joint underfloor/inaccessible. The pipe is great but there are rumours of the epdm seals failing after 10 years. I've had a joint fail and bring a ceiling down, didn't look anything wrong with it when I got to it. I think it was just a bit of dust in the seal, it took 3-months to leak through the ceiling. Most annoying thing was that the ceiling had already been overboarded twice... :-(

Oh, hi btw, first post.

Regs say no-no to burying potable water in wall and it's just a shite idea as you'll have a cold spot on the wall. CH pipes buried are just as bad an idea (underwall heating?). You sure as hell shouldn't have any buried joints, thats a non-starter for copper or plastic.

On the occasions when you can do it, it should be run seamless in a conduit to allow expansion/contraction. If it's potable water then it has to be in a covered channel that can be accessed for inspection (apparently).

Plastics so easy to use, there's no excuse for bad design. There's always a partition nearby that you can use as a drop. Put over 2000m speedfit in a nursey not long ago and not a single joint underfloor/inaccessible. The pipe is great but there are rumours of the epdm seals failing after 10 years. I've had a joint fail and bring a ceiling down, didn't look anything wrong with it when I got to it. I think it was just a bit of dust in the seal, it took 3-months to leak through the ceiling. Most annoying thing was that the ceiling had already been overboarded twice... :-(

Oh, hi btw, first post.

Welcome along :D

I dont have any stud walls downstairs in my place :D

ermm, me neither come to think of it. I created a false stud wall in downstairs loo that runs all the way up to loft. Gas, water, electricity, air ducts, the works. Not a good wall for banging nails in to :endesacuerdo:

ermm, me neither come to think of it. I created a false stud wall in downstairs loo that runs all the way up to loft. Gas, water, electricity, air ducts, the works. Not a good wall for banging nails in to :endesacuerdo:

lol :D

the pipe in my kitchen are all behind the cupboards etc :D god knows what it is in the bathroom downstairs... cant remember but certainly no pboard :D

When I renovated my kitchen I found the HW pipe buried in the plaster running at 45 degreees down the wall! Plus an obvious repair at wall cabinet hanger height lol. Less fun was finding that my entire kitchen and garage ran off a spur.