Plug sockets etc

Members online

What's the best way to deal with these when reskimming? Remove socket etc, switch off power etc?
I would tape them up using masking tape and plaster up to them. When plaster was starting to set a bit I’d take masking tape of and losing enough so I could get fill in behind them with some stiff gear. I’d finish the set then screw back on.

What's the best way to deal with these when reskimming? Remove socket etc, switch off power etc?
Ask the customer, their choice
Switch power off
Pull sockets away and doggy bag
Their responsible for safety check after you finished and can leave them off until decorating done
I didn't advise you

I would tape them up using masking tape and plaster up to them. When plaster was starting to set a bit I’d take masking tape of and losing enough so I could get fill in behind them with some stiff gear. I’d finish the set then screw back on.
That’s a long winded way of saying , back them off, skim, screw back on!

Get sparks in prior to remove them, then come back after skim to refit. Put in quote to be removed by qualified electrician. Or... You touch it you own it and take the hit if any problems

And you don’t get plasterers on train forums so piss off. :burlas:
I was going to mention " new member alert " but I'm glad to see your taking the diplomatic approach and encouraging others , that's level 3 in the guide to being a plasterer , top marks @choppa

I am starting to think that its just not worth touching sockets and asking customer to sort a spark to call and remove and make safe prior to any plastering works being carried out . getting fed up of taking the fronts off only to have trouble getting them back on and when you do worrying that every thing is ok and safe . As soon as you touch any electrics you kind of accept responsibility for it . And working around them can be a right pain sometimes .

I am starting to think that its just not worth touching sockets and asking customer to sort a spark to call and remove and make safe prior to any plastering works being carried out . getting fed up of taking the fronts off only to have trouble getting them back on and when you do worrying that every thing is ok and safe . As soon as you touch any electrics you kind of accept responsibility for it . And working around them can be a right pain sometimes .

I know what you mean. I loosen n re-fit but do worry that some pikey customer could stitch me up.

But asking them to get a sparky to do that might lose you the job

Yes its a tough one but i cant help but think about all the problems and explaining that safety is paramount to the customer and yourself is surly the top priority .

Yes its a tough one but i cant help but think about all the problems and explaining that safety is paramount to the customer and yourself is surly the top priority .

Definitely but the next spread will just crack on.

I never touch rads tho.

Loosening a socket shouldn’t really create any danger. It’s not like you’re altering anything. Occasionally a wire will come out so have to put it back

That's why I suggest them being left out and bagged for painting , you rescrew wires cos usually their loose and your responsible , I don't mind putting back ,its their responsibility if they don't want to pay sparky and I don't blame them.
Same with rads
As long as they know the score about possible stuck or leaky valve , which I can sort , its their call and their ultimate responsibility but they pay my time , for those of you who quote its a no no

Unscrew and bag them up then tape so no cables exposed etc....Just basics Jesus!!!!

Damn, guess the DIY plastering forum is for all those experienced professionals. Oh, hang on...

If you haven't got anything positive to say and don't want to be helpful why are you here? I bet you make a great teacher. Did you learn everything Matrix style? You know, downloaded everything into your brain regarding plastering so never asked how to deal with sockets?

To be fair, when I was training new recruits, day one on weapons training, asked them to strip their rifles, would you believe it, they didn't know how. Just basics... Jesus!!!

Definitely but the next spread will just crack on.

I never touch rads tho.

Loosening a socket shouldn’t really create any danger. It’s not like you’re altering anything. Occasionally a wire will come out so have to put it back
I pulled a socket out this week in an old cottage and the Neutral snapped, went with a right bang
Customer was stood in the room watching I just said I think you need to call an electrician, they’ve ended up having a full re wire

I pulled a socket out this week in an old cottage and the Neutral snapped, went with a right bang
Customer was stood in the room watching I just said I think you need to call an electrician, they’ve ended up having a full re wire
Most old buildings require a full rewire if an electrician is involved , don't think that overskim is endangered , don't mind though it might put a stop to skim , artex , bond , skim ,crack , .....can you skim over it for me mister

One of jobs I.m on at min customer had them plastic mounts on . He said sparki said you.d love em. Took em all off. pain in ass

I photograph the wires and connections then I remove the faceplate entirely tape it up on wire blocks and tuck into the back box.
I have a filling knife cut down to size to fit inside the box and when I’m trowelling up I put the filling knife in the box and use it as a solid surface to push gear into the voids and around the back box.
After the final trowel I knock the power off and refer back to the photos to put the faceplates back on

I photograph the wires and connections then I remove the faceplate entirely tape it up on wire blocks and tuck into the back box.
I have a filling knife cut down to size to fit inside the box and when I’m trowelling up I put the filling knife in the box and use it as a solid surface to push gear into the voids and around the back box.
After the final trowel I knock the power off and refer back to the photos to put the faceplates back on
Christ .
Unscrew front . Skim . Dont cover em in s**t. Screw em back on get paid f**k off hime

• Agree
Reactions: Djr
Word of warning in case anyone thinks of doing it , all wires connected together in a socket stay connected together or you risk an overloaded ring main
ie..2 or 3 reds connected to switch stay connected in block , to separate in a block for each wire is dangerous , sure you all were aware

Foooooook that for a game of soldiers!!!!

Word of warning in case anyone thinks of doing it , all wires connected together in a socket stay connected together or you risk an overloaded ring main
ie..2 or 3 reds connected to switch stay connected in block , to separate in a block for each wire is dangerous , sure you all were aware
Also make sure their is an earth lead attached to the back box ( if its metal )