Pre-Mix Stucco - Doorbell Nightmare

Members online

CaptainJack

Hi all,

I was attempting to install a Ring video doorbell (hooray -_- )....It required drilling into the stucco to create holes for anchors. As I was doing it for 2 screws at the desired height of the unit - the holes lined up with hairline cracks in my stucco - and as you all may guess - chunks of stucco fell (lol).

I'm by no means a construction dude but I have researched a tad bit. I realized I had to get some pre-mixed stucco (I got one by DAP) and its a little bit of a nightmare. I used a "scratch coat" aka 1st layer into this hole and applied it with my bare hands into this uneven looking hole.... (dont believe a trowel will work nicely for the hole). I then let it dry. I then applied a much more generous "brown" coat aka 2nd layer coat? And this one has been drying for almost 2 days...when I push on it however, it feels like....well..sort of like ...firm playdough. Not hard at all. And as I push on one area, another area sort of "bubbles" up and pushes out some more firm play-doughish stucco. It feels like a bit of a stucco bubble rising...it's not air...just feel like stucco to me that bulges out.

Did I mess up?

Not sure what the deal is (maybe I used too much for the 2nd layer) I would say 2nd layer was a solid inch deep of material across this 4 inch wide hole ....did I need to do more than 3 layers essentially to make it a faster process?

Rather annoyed they don't sell aluminate rapid-set premixed around me but I was too lazy to go to Home Depot 15 miles away :(.

Anyways hope someone can help me and sort of demystify what went wrong.

Hi all,

I was attempting to install a Ring video doorbell (hooray -_- )....It required drilling into the stucco to create holes for anchors. As I was doing it for 2 screws at the desired height of the unit - the holes lined up with hairline cracks in my stucco - and as you all may guess - chunks of stucco fell (lol).

I'm by no means a construction dude but I have researched a tad bit. I realized I had to get some pre-mixed stucco (I got one by DAP) and its a little bit of a nightmare. I used a "scratch coat" aka 1st layer into this hole and applied it with my bare hands into this uneven looking hole.... (dont believe a trowel will work nicely for the hole). I then let it dry. I then applied a much more generous "brown" coat aka 2nd layer coat? And this one has been drying for almost 2 days...when I push on it however, it feels like....well..sort of like ...firm playdough. Not hard at all. And as I push on one area, another area sort of "bubbles" up and pushes out some more firm play-doughish stucco. It feels like a bit of a stucco bubble rising...it's not air...just feel like stucco to me that bulges out.

Did I mess up?

Not sure what the deal is (maybe I used too much for the 2nd layer) I would say 2nd layer was a solid inch deep of material across this 4 inch wide hole ....did I need to do more than 3 layers essentially to make it a faster process?

Rather annoyed they don't sell aluminate rapid-set premixed around me but I was too lazy to go to Home Depot 15 miles away :(.

Anyways hope someone can help me and sort of demystify what went wrong.

bump

Applied it with your bare hands? - what you need is a top quality American 'Curry' trowel to apply your 'Dap stucco', and it's your lucky day as I've got one of these ready to go out tomorrow to you....pm me your address and it's your for $100.

Applied it with your bare hands? - what you need is a top quality American 'Curry' trowel to apply your 'Dap stucco', and it's your lucky day as I've got one of these ready to go out tomorrow to you....pm me your address and it's your for $100.

still trying to get rid of that old curry?