Preparing for plastering through the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad86

We haven't had a summer this year so I'm allowed to talk about this! How does everybody prepare themselves for the winter months?
Anybody have any decent 110v heaters? What about getting to work - sometimes site is 40 miles away, does anybody use winter tyres or snow chains? And sometimes the cold steel of the trowel or gust of cold air from the screw gun can really hurt being so cold, are there gloves that keep warm but still allow fiddly things to be done. This is the first winter I've had to worry about this because I used to work with another bloke.

And before you jump in with your sarky bullshit....Spunky - shhhhhhhh

Cant wait for the winter going to work in the dark coming home in the dark its mint:rolleyes).........but we do get an extra hour in bed:)

b*ll***s to staying at home, need to earn!
Gloves that heat up hmmmm, Klan Heated Gloves - Klan Heated Clothing - by Klan Clothing - Klan Hot Lycra Inner Gloves Also Check.

No such thing as not being able to get water, fill buckets night before and leave in house and they rarely freeze, it's when it's on the walls it's a problem! Need a fan heater of some sort I think, but I'm not prepared to spend hundreds on one. I'd sooner stick to just boarding if it comes to it
Luckily I think a fair bit of work coming up is local so travel might not be too much of an issue

Ah you dont get that luxury on site work there have been many times i have gone to work with all good intention and waiting for water and it not happening you learn these things when it happens to you.

Where there's a will chaps! We've had frozen taps before but managed. Kettles, blowtorches, use your imagination!

you want to be a rendering contractor in winter, there aint much fun to be had.
and as for bad weather im use to it, im from north yorkshire, half the year is winter :RpS_laugh:

He's probaly trying in on with gina in the adensfield arms! when I were a lad! possibly rendering greengrasses barn!

Work your butt off for 9 months of the year and save, save ,save. Pay the utilities 3 months min up front and mortgage if you can. I average 3 days a week in a good winter and 2 days a week in a bad winter. Outside work though, packed up plastering in 19andfrozentodeath.

Ive been on sites where the site manager wont let you lay on in freezing conditions the reason being he obviously had prior experience where plaster had failed in these conditions some times its just out of your hands but there again it could be worse you could be a scaffolder in the winter carrying freezing cold poles all day cant be good.

seriously if you're inside and crystals are happening on the skim then it's time to pack up. finish won't work in those temps

I'll be getting the halogens out, completely useless light but great heaters! Then back home early to watch s*x in the city box set ;)

i think i might get a new job. the thought of another winter isnt filling me with joy atm. iv got my house up for sale and im going away for a couple of yrs early next yr. to change or not to change

I've tried wearing hats, gloves, jumpers etc but half an hour after starting work I'm too hot and end up in my t shirt. Only get cold when you stop...so don't stop. Spent the first 6 years of plastering on site in winter. No glass in the windows, concrete floors, concrete lids etc. Like working in a freezer. Gas heater for dinner break n that's it. Oh and it helps melt the ice off the water butt in the morning.

I've worked in a freezer steve:RpS_thumbsup:

Local fish factory needed concrete beams setting around the edges to stop the stacker drivers from wrecking the freezer walls, they were supposed to decomission it for a couple of days to get the floor temperature up, but they knocked it off about 2 hrs before I arrived.:RpS_crying:
So I got a roofers blow-torch going to warm the floors up & after a wee while we decided to 'cook' a bit of salmon with it for our breakfast........... Fkin smoke alarm went off & the factory was evacuated for half an hour. You wouldn't really expect a smoke alarm in a freezer though would ya:RpS_scared:

I'll be thinking of all you lads working on site while i'm skimming on domestic, nice centrally heated house, water from the bath, cups of tea and coffee on tap, homemade cakes...lol only time I feel the cold is when I put the waste water down the drain lol

North face jacket & hat for me......walking from the van to the customers hoose, then T-shirt and and a cool drink to hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.