Preparing walls for dot and dan

birdy59

The walls to my house are made from a kind of chalk stone with lime mortar. The walls are very dusty and the mortar is crumbling in places. I would like to get insulated plasterboard dot and dabbed onto the walls. Do you think pva would be good enough to prep the walls?

Attachments

• 2C3A60D9-36FC-4216-B3C0-B8B808A34E81.jpeg
    2C3A60D9-36FC-4216-B3C0-B8B808A34E81.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 171
The walls to my house are made from a kind of chalk stone with lime mortar. The walls are very dusty and the mortar is crumbling in places. I would like to get insulated plasterboard dot and dabbed onto the walls. Do you think pva would be good enough to prep the walls?
As said above they look like solid walls, if you dot and dab them you'll get moisture coming through. You want to either batten and board them or build a separate stud wall in front.

Does this sound ok? 50mm x 25mm battens on the walls, top, bottom and vertically at about 600mm centres, fill gaps with 25mm celotex or similar then screw insulated plasterboard to battens?

Does this sound ok? 50mm x 25mm battens on the walls, top, bottom and vertically at about 600mm centres, fill gaps with 25mm celotex or similar then screw insulated plasterboard to battens?
Would do 400mm centers personally. But sounds much better than dot and dabbing either way. You'll likely have to pack the wall out quite abit in place to get level