Problem wall

Ghis

Decided to start plastering our home (70's cavity wall brick/block bungalow) in the worst room and I am totally stumped on how to deal with the exterior wall. It has a lot of issues so easiest if I list them:

1. Saturated cavity insulation (which I've removed by taking away the window sills and sucking out with an industrial vac. Now the cavity is pretty much clear and any remaining rubble is below the original DPC level.
2. Previous owners have done a few hack jobs at the plaster and damp proofing which means they have covered the walls with cladding to hide the issue. The cladding is now gone, but the walls are covered in 2-3mm deep stripes of pinkgrip glue and the wall itself has been covered in different damp proof or vinyl paints over the ages.
3. I'm still getting a could of damp spike areas mostly below the skirting. Everything else is 15% or lower
4. There is a lot of cracking and crumbling in some spots. However, the original render is neigh on impossible to remove even with an SDS drill. I've tried and have only succeeded where the render is on brick and not block. So now it looks very patchy.

I was planning on using the dryzone system to fix the wall, but wasn't going to plasterboard since I can't remove the render. I was going to add new render on the areas where it is missing, then plaster. I was thinking I'd still use the crème dpc injected into the walls, but since I can't remove the render, I can't add the liquid DPC below the new DPC level of the injected crème.

Do you think it would be smarter to just do the DPC injections, patch up the render and then plaster board? Worried that if I plasterboard, it will cause issues around the window as they are no perfectly fitted and the wall level protruding further might be an issue. Or, should I just do the liquid DPC, fix the render, then blue grit the whole wall and just start skimming? Maybe I can use the dryzone DPC paint onto of the old plaster?

Sorry this is so wordy, but I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Have added a few pics for reference. The top of the wall is pretty much ok with the exception of the glossy vinyl paint around the window.

Attachments

• Close up of wall .jpg
    Close up of wall .jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 254
  • wall 3.jpg
    wall 3.jpg
    672.9 KB · Views: 196
  • wall2.jpg
    wall2.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 193
  • wall4.jpg
    wall4.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 194
FFs just get someone to have a look . The internet is a wonderful thing but the old ways are still the best some times , ..................Just saying .

Check you've got no problem with the widow outside, water running down and saturating brickwork, assume radiator is going on wall , put heat reflector behind it

FFs just get someone to have a look . The internet is a wonderful thing but the old ways are still the best some times , ..................Just saying .
Agreed, which is why I have had 3 different people have a look. All with different ideas and all very different advice - all contradicting each other. So, trying here to see if anyone has a different take. And also, to see if anyone has dryzone specific advice.

Check you've got no problem with the widow outside, water running down and saturating brickwork, assume radiator is going on wall , put heat reflector behind it

The window is fine, though there is an issue with blown render on the outside of the building - this only exists below the original DPC level and so shouldn't be causing drama on the inner skin. No rads, going for an under floor heating system.

Make sure the outside is watertight, eg, mortar, blown faces, seal round window etc etc.

If the cavity insulation was soaked then the brickwork could take a while to dry out. I’d persevere with taking render off. Plus I personally don’t think cement does damp any good as it blocks rather than solves and nothing is breathing.

Cold walls can cause condensation. Assuming you now have no insulation in the cavity? Might be a good idea to thermal board the exterior wall.

Now sit back and wait to see if someone tells me I’m wrong before commencing!

so who is the widow outside?
Lol in my defense my screen is pretty shattered , but as usual I'm getting my money's worth , was tethering to tablet but pony thought it was a sandwich

@Ghis pay no attention to jess , she gets a bit carried away , si is probably out on the Rohypnol and she's escaped from the kitchen , no need to remove render , ,,,,, now do I hit the post button. Blooodyy crakkked screeeeennn nnñn

That went well ,, go for the thermal boards stuck on with foam if you can