Problem with bond it thistle

Members online

D

Deleted member 31062

Hi people.. On a job plastering onto old walls.. Victorian house. Some kind of effect on the walls where they have been painted 100 times. So I used bond it thistle on them all for the best chance for suction an adhesive. Never diluted it as was wanting the best with one coat. So plastered a few walls yesterday.. Came in today.. All walls fine apart from one.. It has blown.. So removed it an it's like it's took to the paint but the paint has came away.. An I noticed the wall was wet? Weird. Anyone experienced this ? Have I done anything wrong? Thanks

Hi people.. On a job plastering onto old walls.. Victorian house. Some kind of effect on the walls where they have been painted 100 times. So I used bond it thistle on them all for the best chance for suction an adhesive. Never diluted it as was wanting the best with one coat. So plastered a few walls yesterday.. Came in today.. All walls fine apart from one.. It has blown.. So removed it an it's like it's took to the paint but the paint has came away.. An I noticed the wall was wet? Weird. Anyone experienced this ? Have I done anything wrong? Thanks
Any pictures and did you give the bond it a good stirring round in the tub before you applied it ?

Yes I did what it said to do. The rest of the walls were perfect but one wall blow so was scratching my brain today.. I've re coated it with thistle bond it an will leave it longer to dry. But can't efford it happening again.. No pics sorry. When I removed the plaster it seemed wet but not soaking.. Like it was holding water behind it. An it was a lot that was blown.. Was able to bounce it before I cracked into it.

Took paint off? So the bondit worked but paint failed? When you are next in spit on your finger and rub it on the paint left on the wall, if it 're emulsifies it's probably distemper.... chalky paint. Needs stabilising.

The more I read your original post the more I think it's not the bondit. If it's distemper 80% sure that will fail again until you stabilise it..... 20% you might be lucky lol

It didn't seem chalky when I touched it.. Or flaky. It seemed OK an thought the bond it would be the same as stabilising it no? No I agree the bonit stuck great to the surface it was
Put on in to ( paint surface ) but past that it's pulled.. So I was thinking dodgy paint by customers.. Not mis coating etc. I've bond it all the walls.. So there wouldn't be any use stabilising the walls now ? !

It didn't seem chalky when I touched it.. Or flaky. It seemed OK an thought the bond it would be the same as stabilising it no? No I agree the bonit stuck great to the surface it was
Put on in to ( paint surface ) but past that it's pulled.. So I was thinking dodgy paint by customers.. Not mis coating etc. I've bond it all the walls.. So there wouldn't be any use stabilising the walls now ? !

Victorian house so probably distemper that's been painted over, hence that layer failing. When your next there try to scrape it off, if it don't budge you will probably be ok but no guarantees, do you know how to stabilise distemper?

It seemed solid but clearly a problem as its blown..no mate not really? Hardly in really old houses? I've bond it all the walls so is there anything I can do now or it to late. If it doesn't scrap off

I would give it a scrape and see what it feels like. I can't really make that call wether to chance it or not. Chalky paint needs stabilising solution.

After one is the only one I could "recommended"
http://abingtondecoratingsupplies.co.uk/shop/store/#!/Artex-Stabilex-5L/p/51653013

Though wickes own one, sandtex one from b&q I have used without problems. You find them mostly in the outside paint areas.

This is always the problem with overskims, you can't really predict what is under the paint so you either tell them no guarantee or allow for the ones that pop up.

I know . ok thanks for the info . I'll see how I get on tomorrow.

If I mange to scrap of the paint.. An do the test with the finger.. What am I looking for to happen mate?

If the surface you are painting the bondit on is sketchy then it will fail.. its only as strong as to what it is stuck to :D

The surface is normal.. It's been painted with emulsion. It is Artex though I forgot to mention.. It seemed fine. I Bond it thistle it all left to dry. Then skimmed the next day.. Some
Walls are fine.. One wall blown an was damp when I scrapped of the plaster.. But plaster was still dark an not 100% dry.. When it fell off it took a layer of paint.

Can it be distemper under the emulsion paint? An when iv skimmed it the water has reacted when it started to dry an forced the top coat paint to come blown.. Heads burst already ha!

Ok didn't know it was artex, if that gets damp under the paint it will turn to dust leaving the paint floating on top, same treatment as distemper, scrape off anything loose/vulnerable and seal with a stabilising solution, then bondit when dried...looking 4hours plus, ideally next day uni.

I suppose there is a question over damp but I can't really advise on that without seeing it.

As mentioned I would test scrape the bondit to see how well that is stuck and go from there.

Can it be distemper under the emulsion paint? An when iv skimmed it the water has reacted when it started to dry an forced the top coat paint to come blown.. Heads burst already ha!

Yes you have no idea what's under each layer of paint. I've skimmed over artex ceilings to watch them peel off infront of me because there is distemper under the artex.

Thanks for info I've stabilised it today.. See how I get on..thanks lads