PVA free Uni-Finish

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastyoldwalls

Hi folks new to plastering but can get it up and smooth on both walls and one ceiling so far, last year patched and skimmed our small spare bedroom as when we removed the old woodchip half the plaster and nasty sandy base mixed with horse hair or something similar came away with it! this year I am attempting the upstairs bathroom as the tiles were all over the place and the walls were cracking everywhere, pulled the old tiles off and yes once again the the walls came away with them same story, this time due to a couple of whole bricks being missing (I could grab handfulls of cavity wall insulation!) under the hairy mortar bonding? I have pulled all the walls back to the bricks and fixed the holes, now for the advice needed, last year when patching I used browning under the top coat, please tell me is bonding better for bigger jobs like this? also as one of the walls that was tilled is boaded I have been looking at something called Uni-Finish which seems to be recomended for this job and is reported to be free from needing pva preparation and easy to spread any truth in this?
House was built in the 30s for the local authority.
cheers
Phil

Do not use it for free, do a search on here, it fails fails fails.unifinishnthat is, hardwall would be better for the first coat if there is no damp present or salts.

Last edited:
Cheers John just done a search (unifinish one word) and found some very interesting reading, as you say I wont be bothering with it and sticking with good old pva and multi, will have a look at hard wall, thanks again.
Phil.

Keep away from uni finish it is rubbish, they can't give it away here. I bought 20 bags half price to try, big mistake. On low suction areas you might as well go away for the day and come back to trowel up, on high suction it draws in straight away. It's ok on medium suction. As for whether to use browning or bonding backing coat plaster, they are made specifically for different backgrounds, so it depends on what background you are laying it on as to use browning or bonding. Ask gypsum for their white bible it'll give you specs.

never heard of not being able to use hardwall or bonding in the bathroom ? is this something new i'v been plastering over 28yrs

never heard of not being able to use hardwall or bonding in the bathroom ? is this something new i'v been plastering over 28yrs
Hardwall and bonding will absorb moisture and retain it ,hence its not advisable to use it in bathrooms although many do, dri coat or sand/cement would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.