pva with added cement

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruddez

an article in professional builder last month stated that an alternative to using sbr for a key ordinary pva would do the same job provided you mix it with cement i have a job to do where the rendering has all blown off and the brickwork has spalled off and just what caused the bricks to spall the way they have which is part of the reason it has blown the bricks now seem to have perfect key and suction but is it still worth bonding with pva/cement or sbr

I have used the waterproof eva unibond mixed with cement as a slurry way back in 1984 on a smooth brick gable end and it is still there to this day. I would think if you was to use pva it would have to certainly be the waterproof type for outside use. As to putting it in the mix then maybe if the manufacturer say's it can but personally I would stick to sbr, it is the better imo.

No PVA's will break under damp freezing conditions (which is why the are shagged) use SBR with neat cement mixed up like emulsion paint and render onto this whilst wet. Get a Turks head brush from you merchant they're the best for slappin it on.
:RpS_thumbup:

Its one of those round headed brushes that they have in most builders merchants that you thought WTF's that for, like a tar brush,

did the pva/cement work for you as i am putting a render coat and dashing coat with waterproofer in the mixes over the top as i cant see any moisture getting through to the background and if it did wouldnt the cement in the pva hold it altogether without the pva emulsifying i will send professional builder an email to see if they have made an error

rake out the pointing and hose the hell out of it and forget bringing pva outdoors. maybe they were on about internals.

Status
Not open for further replies.