pva

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz1968

i posted a quote the other day about gauging pva answers from the pros well appreciated ratio 4/1 and 3/1 but if skimming large areas what vessals would i use to gauge the glue could i just throw a whole five liters of pva into abucket and 4 litres of water in aswell . does this make sense cheers :-\ ???

5 litres of pva you would add 20 liters of water at 4:1

edit:

its not an exact science chuck it in the buckets add ya water mix it up roll it on, bish bash bosh

if you dont want to worry about it just use gypbond (thistle bond-it)

Daz people on here make me laugh they will tell you to do a 4-1 and then a 3-1, let me tell you I have been a spread well over ten years and have never come across a spread who works to an exact ratio let alone mixing two different ratios for the same areas I and everyone else I know simply mix to a consistency that they are happy with which just comes with experience. so stick to the way you suggested for know you will soon get to know what works for you. And by the way unless it is a high suction wall I only pva areas once.

gps said:
Daz people on here make me laugh they will tell you to do a 4-1 and then a 3-1, let me tell you I have been a spread well over ten years and have never come across a spread who works to an exact ratio let alone mixing two different ratios for the same areas I and everyone else I know simply mix to a consistency that they are happy with which just comes with experience. so stick to the way you suggested for know you will soon get to know what works for you. And by the way unless it is a high suction wall I only pva areas once.

If the lads on here didn't give Daz any ratios to go by and just said it "just comes with experience" then what help would that have been to him. I've been plastering well over twenty years and I do use two different ratios on the same area and so do most of the spreads I know.

essexandy said:
gps said:

If the lads on here didn't give Daz any ratios to go by and just said it "just comes with experience" then what help would that have been to him. I've been plastering well over twenty years and I do use two different ratios on the same area and so do most of the spreads I know.
Rubbish andy

ive got to admit i dont bother with the ratio thing ive always found 3-1 or 4-1 too week and makes it hard to roller on good.i now have it quite thick makes it easy to roll on gives a good solid cover and never had any probs yet

no, i dont measure it out but for the lad to see the difference in how it should and feel when rolling it on then he needs to start somewhere and at least it gives him a bit of confidence that the mix is near to what he should have it. Its a bit like some people will gauge there sand and cement by buckets but others will chuck it in by the shovel as we know what is about right.

I have a clear 5 litre container with a mark on where one litre of PVA comes up to I then fill with water and give a good shake. I seal with this mix 4:1 and then prime with neat PVA with just enough water to allow it to go on easily.

Have PVA'd the day before and gone straight on with finish the next day, I know others do this, how about you lot I,d appreciate your opinions?

ive never had problems going over dry bonding agent what ive noticed is if its well sealed the second coat seems to be at the so cslled tacky time quite quick not really much hanging around.

hers a quick tip ,i learnt. buy some waterbased paint tint its dirt cheap and put a bit in your bonding agent it tints itup i use a nice light blue you can see where youve rollered and all be care full not to get it on finished items though its a tw aat to get off

Status
Not open for further replies.