Questions about lime

Members online

OwenG

I have been researching lime for a while but I’m finding it hard to get the answers to a couple of questions.

I’ve had the external of my solid brick house done in lime and I’m getting close to the stage to do the inside.
I would like the lime to be as flat, straight and square as possible, from your experiences can this be achieved or is it always a rough look on the lime?

Also I would like the corners to be as square as possible, but I can’t find any information on beading to be used, the info I have read has been basically to do it free hand (I’m not sure how square is possible) or use rounded oak beads which I don’t like. Can beads be used? Plastic/stainless?

Another query is about tiling onto the lime, will normal adhesive stick? Can you tile the kitchen sink / hob splash back area?

Finally, I would like to use hemp lime and a skim on top of this, could this be used around a fire place? I will be putting a wood burner and glue in but it will still be hot around it so I’m not sure if it will handle the heat?

What do you experts think?

You are only limited by your own thoughts.......beads could be used, but traditionally were not, possibly because they hadn’t been invented when lime was in its heyday....
Stainless beads might be ok for you.
If you get a good spread involved, you should end up with a flat smooth finish.
Look at all the Victorian buildings about the place.

Cheers for the info, have you ever seen lime done with internal beads? I haven’t found a stainless one yet? I think I read somewhere that stainless expansion is very different to any plaster so it will crack. No idea if this is true or not

Yeah there are a few old building around me and most look very good, finding a good lime plasterer seems that hardest part of my project!

Lime will rot galvanised beads as it’s an alckaline, I know you can use it on stainless rib lathe so stainless beads should be okay plastic ones definitely but if you set your rules up properly on your angle then you shouldn’t need beads

I have been researching lime for a while but I’m finding it hard to get the answers to a couple of questions.

I’ve had the external of my solid brick house done in lime and I’m getting close to the stage to do the inside.
I would like the lime to be as flat, straight and square as possible, from your experiences can this be achieved or is it always a rough look on the lime?

Also I would like the corners to be as square as possible, but I can’t find any information on beading to be used, the info I have read has been basically to do it free hand (I’m not sure how square is possible) or use rounded oak beads which I don’t like. Can beads be used? Plastic/stainless?

Another query is about tiling onto the lime, will normal adhesive stick? Can you tile the kitchen sink / hob splash back area?

Finally, I would like to use hemp lime and a skim on top of this, could this be used around a fire place? I will be putting a wood burner and glue in but it will still be hot around it so I’m not sure if it will handle the heat?

What do you experts think?
you can use timber angles, work well can get a crack detail , or set up rules and do hard angles does take time ,or run insitu plaster paris corners look nice but all down to what you want to spend .yep do the inside depending on background for which type of lime to use fine stuff good gear just takes a lot of troweling for a good finish i hope this is helpful rgs

Any more info on the plaster of Paris corners, again finding information on this is quite hard, really seems like lime plastering is such a forgoton skill!

Thanks for the replies guys

Any more info on the plaster of Paris corners, again finding information on this is quite hard, really seems like lime plastering is such a forgoton skill!

Thanks for the replies guys
Yep have to be run instiu . Feel free to ring me eazyjet to tell you info then write it all down