Rain water into Drains

Members online

No members online now.
Alright chaps :D

A neighbour thought it would be a good idea to prop his fence up using my gutter down pipe and he smashed it :-(

I decided to dig out the downpipe and realised it just goes into the footings and not through any sort of soakaway.

I have fitted a water butt to collect the water and running a hose from the water butt overflow to water my garden... but my question is can I just put that pipe into a surface drain (like the one you get with a grill on it?)

The ground is soaked and over 48 hours before I fitted the water butt I emptied a dustbin full of water about 5 times... so quite a substantial amount of water

Alright chaps :D

...I decided to dig out the downpipe...
r
Not sure how your house is built but are you saying the downpipe just hits the ground...er and goes nowhere?

If so, it's definitely desireable to route it to the nearest surface drain. Soakaways are for when you can't get access to a surface drain, so if you've got a gulley nearby, get it in there.

a sewer pipe is for foul water not rain water. it costs money to treat foul water that is why they don't want rain water.

If you go into a soak away it cuts your water rates down as they are not taking your rain water away, well that’s how it used to be

If you go into a soak away it cuts your water rates down as they are not taking your rain water away, well that’s how it used to be

You're not wrong. As long as the whole site uses a soakaway you get reduced waste water fees.
Especially usefull if the land drains down towards your neighbours, you get cheap water and they get a free pool!

Not sure how your house is built but are you saying the downpipe just hits the ground...er and goes nowhere?

If so, it's definitely desireable to route it to the nearest surface drain. Soakaways are for when you can't get access to a surface drain, so if you've got a gulley nearby, get it in there.

This is on a commercial property :D

the downpipe just went into the ground into just the soil/clay

Dig a few storm crates in wrapped in terram Danny no problems and drains without causing boggy ground

I looked at that today... I dug a trench around the building and filld it with loads of boulders and shite like that... I would have to break up a concrete base to get those crates in

a sewer pipe is for foul water not rain water. it costs money to treat foul water that is why they don't want rain water.

This is what i thought as well... may just leave it going into my garden/allotment then

i presume that it is heavy clay soil. when an area of land needs to be drained they cut slits in the clay with a digger and fill the trenches with pea shingle to improve the drainage.
if it is not that wet dig a trench about 5m from the building and dig a soakaway.

i presume that it is heavy clay soil. when an area of land needs to be drained they cut slits in the clay with a digger and fill the trenches with pea shingle to improve the drainage.
if it is not that wet dig a trench about 5m from the building and dig a soakaway.

Yes its heavy clay and it is soaking wet. The 210 litre water but was filled in 12 hours and water flowing out the over flow into an open drain... lot of water.

I cant get a soakaway in I have zero space as its all concrete bar this little patch

I can only imagine the amount of water that is in the soil... surprised there is no damp in the building except where a downpipe is just emptying on to a flat roof... I will be rerouting that next week to sort that one out and will hopefully get away with not replacing the flat roof :D Its only a little porch part so not the end of the world if I do need to.

Bloody hell! If you're not setting fire to tree stumps you're propping up your garage or digging a moat round your house!

Anything to avoid the laptop! .... are you trying to avoid us?! :eek:

Bloody hell! If you're not setting fire to tree stumps you're propping up your garage or digging a moat round your house!

Anything to avoid the laptop! .... are you trying to avoid us?! :eek:

I spend a lot of time in front 4 screens so the way I unwind is go and potter about. I love working with my hands :D Pissing about with cars and bikes and mending stuff is what keeps me happy.

Will be starting to make a coffee table in the next month or so to put the tortoise in :D That should keep me out of trouble for a bit :D

I spend a lot of time in front 4 screens so the way I unwind is go and potter about. I love working with my hands :D Pissing about with cars and bikes and mending stuff is what keeps me happy.

Will be starting to make a coffee table in the next month or so to put the tortoise in :D That should keep me out of trouble for a bit :D
A coffee table for the tortoise? Will the small sir be requiring a bookcase or tea caddy thereafter?

Are you sure there is no under ground pipe work , if there’s a down pipe there must of been a drain for it , maybe someone has filled it in ?

Weird is there one on the neighbors side ?

The downpipe must of been moved from another area then at one time surely? How old is this house , Victorian? They had ground street level drain aways on front of the property’s.

Vincey...I've seen it loads of times...downpipe straight into the ground..... Great for causing a bit of subsidence (y)....
Mabye that's how part of the garage is all cracked/moved?

Vincey...I've seen it loads of times...downpipe straight into the ground..... Great for causing a bit of subsidence (y)....
Oh right I thought it was his house he was on about, tbh I do worry about this building work Danny does

Minimum 5m from a dwelling.....soak away.
Not sure if it applies to garages........my eco warrior alter ego says.....”duuuude.....connect up several 1000l cube tanks, plumb them all together, save that water to use on the veggie plot........be cool duuude”.....

Just divert the water into the neighbours garden, you have his ladder he can have your water (y)

Weird is there one on the neighbors side ?

The downpipe must of been moved from another area then at one time surely? How old is this house , Victorian? They had ground street level drain aways on front of the property’s.

Nah never been moved.... i think what has happened in the past is that the pipe was only intended to take the water from the small flat roof but over time the otjer getters have gone into it and now takes a bit more water.

The building is 1930s

Lol i did think that but still think that crack in the garage was being hit... seems all good now :)

IMG_20180102_022814_488.jpg

Oh right I thought it was his house he was on about, tbh I do worry about this building work Danny does

Nah not my house but part of a building we have bought/buying should have exchanged before xmas but probate has skowed stuff up