rant alert

Members online

zolco

Private Member
Went to see a job a while back, tenant was complaining to landlord about damp, so arranged to visit the property.
Victorian style property, no cavity in place, all windows and doors replaced to double glazed UPVC units, with no trickle vents in place. When looking around, you can clearly see condensation sitting on some of the glazing bars, some mould growth on top of skirtings less than 8" area on two different places, can easily wipe off. On the ground floor above mould about 6` height there`s some blown plaster, area of about 200*300 if that, s&c with no or very little key hence the blown skim.
I advised LL to invest in a PIV unit and a thumble drier as the tenants drying clothes on doors, chairs, radiators etc, obviously creating the condensation themselves.
Now LL got reported to Environmental Agency, causing bronchitis or similar to tenant cause of the "damp". Because of this LL decided to call Kenwood who advised that the wall where the plaster blown 6` height and some visible mould growth now needs hacking back and injecting as it has RISING DAMP! at 6ft height! Now this "effected" wall is an external wall, externally pebble dashed which is sound, out of elements, path next to is 20 mm shingle and lower than floor level, no guttering nearby, no water puddling up, it`s on top of a hill, no rivers, lakes, oceans, in close vicinity, dry as the Sahara.
BUT damp meter says its rising damp LOL
Get a f**k**g grip Kenwood, to have a sale is one thing but being honest and looking after a client is mandatory for any legit business.
Rant over

Went to see a job a while back, tenant was complaining to landlord about damp, so arranged to visit the property.
Victorian style property, no cavity in place, all windows and doors replaced to double glazed UPVC units, with no trickle vents in place. When looking around, you can clearly see condensation sitting on some of the glazing bars, some mould growth on top of skirtings less than 8" area on two different places, can easily wipe off. On the ground floor above mould about 6` height there`s some blown plaster, area of about 200*300 if that, s&c with no or very little key hence the blown skim.
I advised LL to invest in a PIV unit and a thumble drier as the tenants drying clothes on doors, chairs, radiators etc, obviously creating the condensation themselves.
Now LL got reported to Environmental Agency, causing bronchitis or similar to tenant cause of the "damp". Because of this LL decided to call Kenwood who advised that the wall where the plaster blown 6` height and some visible mould growth now needs hacking back and injecting as it has RISING DAMP! at 6ft height! Now this "effected" wall is an external wall, externally pebble dashed which is sound, out of elements, path next to is 20 mm shingle and lower than floor level, no guttering nearby, no water puddling up, it`s on top of a hill, no rivers, lakes, oceans, in close vicinity, dry as the Sahara.
Get a f**k**g grip Kenwood, to have a sale is one thing but being honest and looking after a client is mandatory for any legit business.
Rant over

In my books .....everyones a fuucking arsehole this week.

Rant over
That's a classic case! Did they mentioned if not damp proofed bronchitis turns into tuberculosis within a month?:lol:
Wonder what @flynnyman will advise :D

Oh my lord....

A dehumidifier would be one way and would a be a lot cheaper :D Its also a great way to dry clothes inside :D
Was recommended that as well, but you know how it is if you not nationwide and haven't got 20odd jobs worth people in the office, your advice is as good as a toilet paper

It's a massive problem nowadays with us all living in house that are sealed I.e. double glazing. Draught proofing etc houses can't breath. Moisture in the house settling on any cold spots and causing condition. With no ventilation in property it's getting worse. Even had people saying that dpc 's they have had done have failed NO its just a cold slab of stone on your wall that moisture is settling on cos you won't air your property out. Tenants are worse cos they don't give a fook it's not there pocket that's affected most of them stink aswell and need a good airing

Went back to a job yesterday that I spoke with last year, usual terraced house, damp along the stair wall just above the cupboard under the stairs. Damp above a gas metre in a box in a living room. They were told by two companies before me they may have to take out half the stairs and move the gas meter as well as all the hack off blaa blaa. Told him to vent the metre and empty the cupboard under the stairs and fit a vent to the door. Hey presto he boxed in the metre with louvre doors and empties the cupboard and the damps gone and dried out so all he needs is a bit off hack off where the salts have blown the render.

Went back to a job yesterday that I spoke with last year, usual terraced house, damp along the stair wall just above the cupboard under the stairs. Damp above a gas metre in a box in a living room. They were told by two companies before me they may have to take out half the stairs and move the gas meter as well as all the hack off blaa blaa. Told him to vent the metre and empty the cupboard under the stairs and fit a vent to the door. Hey presto he boxed in the metre with louvre doors and empties the cupboard and the damps gone and dried out so all he needs is a bit off hack off where the salts have blown the render.
I think that at least @flynnyman you should get a "Tadah "......common sense is the antidote to bullshit..(y)

You get those who know what they're doing
And you have those who say rising damp is 6' high.

If your true your doing your bit that's all that can be done.

The amount of surveys I've gone on and people have had quotes in excess of 4,5,6K and all that was needed was a half decent P.I.V installing, you would not believe.

I tanked out a downstairs toilet for a young family back in March. They had there whole house treated for rising damp by another firm in my city and the finish was atrocious. I skimmed over the badly blended walls and a few months after I got a phone call saying the damp proof course had failed but on the work this other guy had done.

So I asked what he was going to do and he said the other guy blames me for it coming back on the basis that I overskimmed the walls with multi finish.

The thing is this guy did his work there over 12 months before I skimmed the walls and he used multi finish on his sand and cement backing.

So for me it's as simple as you have those who know and those who don't. Those who don't pay for things like hidden damp eradication 6' up an external wall with a permanent DPC in place.

You get those who know what they're doing
And you have those who say rising damp is 6' high.

If your true your doing your bit that's all that can be done.

The amount of surveys I've gone on and people have had quotes in excess of 4,5,6K and all that was needed was a half decent P.I.V installing, you would not believe.

I tanked out a downstairs toilet for a young family back in March. They had there whole house treated for rising damp by another firm in my city and the finish was atrocious. I skimmed over the badly blended walls and a few months after I got a phone call saying the damp proof course had failed but on the work this other guy had done.

So I asked what he was going to do and he said the other guy blames me for it coming back on the basis that I overskimmed the walls with multi finish.

The thing is this guy did his work there over 12 months before I skimmed the walls and he used multi finish on his sand and cement backing.

So for me it's as simple as you have those who know and those who don't. Those who don't pay for things like hidden damp eradication 6' up an external wall with a permanent DPC in place.
I'm not a damp expert, but got some common sense, thats all really.
I don't charge for survey/advice, which comes as a shock to some customers, but still if I'm up against a national firm 99.99% I won't get the job just because their sales pitch. I should charge for visits really and knock it off the end invoice if I get the job.

I'm not a damp expert, but got some common sense, thats all really.
I don't charge for survey/advice, which comes as a shock to some customers, but still if I'm up against a national firm 99.99% I won't get the job just because their sales pitch. I should charge for visits really and knock it off the end invoice if I get the job.

Independent route might be the one if you like the surveying and doing the reports.
We do independent surveyor reports but if we do we don't under any circumstances complete the work.

Independent route might be the one if you like the surveying and doing the reports.
We do independent surveyor reports but if we do we don't under any circumstances complete the work.
How come you don't do the work when you survey?

If a customer wants an independent report doing then we cannot offer our services for the work else then it isn't independent.

We adopted this approach recently because we have months and months of work booked in and I cannot find people who want to come on board and work with us. We still have roughly 3 enquiries a week for damp related issues and two surveyors. ( one of which is strictly a surveyor) when we make contact with potential customers we inform them that we have work currently booked in to September so if they're not willing to wait for us then we can do an independent report instead.
So in order to keep him busy we are now doing alot of independent reports.

If a customer wants an independent report doing then we cannot offer our services for the work else then it isn't independent.

We adopted this approach recently because we have months and months of work booked in and I cannot find people who want to come on board and work with us. We still have roughly 3 enquiries a week for damp related issues and two surveyors. ( one of which is strictly a surveyor) when we make contact with potential customers we inform them that we have work currently booked in to September so if they're not willing to wait for us then we can do an independent report.
I gotcha now

We adopted this approach recently because we have months and months of work booked in and I cannot find people who want to come on board and work with us. We still have roughly 3 enquiries a week for damp related issues and two surveyors. ( one of which is strictly a surveyor) when we make contact with potential customers we inform them that we have work currently booked in to September so if they're not willing to wait for us then we can do an independent report instead.

I think that is a great business model...

Our reviews speak for them selves the business set up we have is extremely different.
Albeit in the so called grey area of damp proofing and the dredded"rising damp" haha

Need to get on here more and get connected. We have that much work on I can't find anyone to come on board with us.

where you based springy? we often tell people to get an independent report because often im f**k*d if i know what is the exact cause of their damp is and dont want it coming back round on me

Our reviews speak for them selves the business set up we have is extremely different.
Albeit in the so called grey area of damp proofing and the dredded"rising damp" haha

Need to get on here more and get connected. We have that much work on I can't find anyone to come on board with us.
I might become an indipendant surveyor Coz every job I look at doesn't need any work doing just a life style change :)

Rant over

Trickle vents are designed to work with all types of windows and is easy to fit. Trickle vents for UPVC conforms to Building regulations. Though they are usually out into new upvc window frames, they can also be fitted to older frames. These small openings are integrated into the frame to provide effective ventilation.

A healthy environment requires proper ventilation. Upgrade windows services in edmonton suggest that vents would ensure fresh air without having to open your window or door.

They aid in home comfort, reduced condensation and controlled ventilation. They also remove stale air from your property. There are controllable vents too.

But I happened to hear that regulations say that if existing windows have trickle vents, the replacements too must have trickle vents.

Trickle vents are designed to work with all types of windows and is easy to fit. Trickle vents for UPVC conforms to Building regulations. Though they are usually out into new upvc window frames, they can also be fitted to older frames. These small openings are integrated into the frame to provide effective ventilation.

A healthy environment requires proper ventilation. Upgrade windows services in edmonton suggest that vents would ensure fresh air without having to open your window or door.

They aid in home comfort, reduced condensation and controlled ventilation. They also remove stale air from your property. There are controllable vents too.

But I happened to hear that regulations say that if existing windows have trickle vents, the replacements too must have trickle vents.

I opted out for trickle vents.... why pay for super dooper energy efficient glass and plastics then cut a huge letter box in the top of each one....

I opted out for trickle vents.... why pay for super dooper energy efficient glass and plastics then cut a huge letter box in the top of each one....
Because it stop mold forming on the reveals around a window and the amount of air that circulates is hardly noticeable .

We just open windows on the latch every now and again :D
Some people would sooner suffocate rather than open a window though and thats why we get these stupid guidelines going hand in hand with airtightness ,here anyhow I dont know about the UK .
Loads spent on making a house airtight here and then lob in 4" vents to most rooms

Some people would sooner suffocate rather than open a window though and thats why we get these stupid guidelines going hand in hand with airtightness ,here anyhow I dont know about the UK .
Loads spent on making a house airtight here and then lob in 4" vents to most rooms

yup.... to be honest a lot of people shut doors in their homes and air does not circulate... we have all doors open all of the time... (except front door)

Storage heaters created a lot of damp and mould issues but we binned them off for electric rads :D

yup.... to be honest a lot of people shut doors in their homes and air does not circulate... we have all doors open all of the time... (except front door)

Storage heaters created a lot of damp and mould issues but we binned them off for electric rads :D
There was a blow door test going on on the job one day and we were explaining how airtight it was going to be to the old lad driving the digger out side . "Sure they will smother at that s**t " he said "there was seven of us raised in a 2 bedroomed cottage that had such a gap under the back door that the dog could run in and out without opening it and none of us ever was a day sick "!