render appears to have hairline cracks when wet

Members online

pgw152

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice if this is the right place, thanks in advance.

This is a stipple effect finish on a new house that was finished middle of last year and this side got/gets a lot of driving rain.

Looks like something different happened to the mix/application between the section that dries out quickly after driving rain and the section that retains moisture for longer including seemingly some hairline cracking with moisture driven in.

It will be painted soon enough, and one suggestion is that the paint will put a stop to this, but another suggestion is to first apply a special coating which is still breathable and takes paint OK.

Any thoughts on what has happened with regard to this exterior finish and what should be done? Thanks

Attachments

• pic.PNG
    pic.PNG
    301.6 KB · Views: 834
Its just failed imo the cracking has nothing to do with the weather , its just a crap render that has just gone wrong .

There must be thousands of houses exactly the same. Now you know why they paint rendered houses ;).

Terylene (cant spell) was another way of covering up similar imperfections..............but nobody could afford to paint the house afterwards. :D I like that look on houses. All old looking.

I wouldnt worry too much it is unlikely to fall off.

decorate the render with BEDEC flexible exterior paint.
expensive , don't fill the cracks just paint. good quality paint for cracked render. have a look at their web page.

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

So, it sounds like it was a poorly mixed batch of render, but it's kind of OK and not needing to be redone?

Would the Tyrolean coating be something that is/was done instead of a good flexible exterior paint? i.e. would having both Tyrolean and paint be over the top?

A company that was suggested to me was http://www.surfasology.com/ as they have some coating/treatment stuff that can still be painted over quite successfully.

Thanks again,

Tyrolean is that very rough knobly textured finish like you see on old cottages. I think it looks nice but because its rough it drinks paint and if you live in a town it attracts dirt from the air and roads.

There are thousands of rendered houses that are unpainted and when wet show up all the cracks from a multitude of reasons. I dont think there is a house built which doesnt have cracks in them, which show up when rendered as the render cracks over the crack in the blockwork.................and thats one reason why they get painted.

Gentle jet wash with anti fungal when its dirty
Have done a lot of render Tyrolean , suits some buildings , also can get away with one coat sharpe / cement / lime and can be a cheap makeover , don't rush the coats , causes lime bloom , I think its less prone to long term cracking

than painted render and certainly hides it better , loads of colours

than painted render and certainly hides it better , loads of colours
You rarely see cracks in Tyrolean or Pebbledash houses. They are most likely there as there could be cracks in blockwork or settlement. But both processes hide it well.

I have painted a few Tyrolean and one Pebbledash houses. They drink paint. But look great I think.

You rarely see cracks in Tyrolean or Pebbledash houses. They are most likely there as there could be cracks in blockwork or settlement. But both processes hide it well.

I have painted a few Tyrolean and one Pebbledash houses. They drink paint. But look great I think.
Tyrolean seems to act like a cushion to the elements and protect render / wall from rapid changes ( if not blobbed on thick with no honeycomb structure )

they have,if you look closely