Render ontop of old render

Nicklebop1

Hi, I have been plastering for a while now but not done much rendering. I have the chance to sand and cement render a house I am working on but not sure about what prep work needs doing.how should I prep the old render to take new ontop? Is it best to take old off and start from scratch????
Thanks for any advice.

Hi, I have been plastering for a while now but not done much rendering. I have the chance to sand and cement render a house I am working on but not sure about what prep work needs doing.how should I prep the old render to take new ontop? Is it best to take old off and start from scratch????
Thanks for any advice.
If you been plastering a while I'm guessing just skimming as you wouldn't be asking the question! Honestly leave it alone or at least try getting someone with experience to help you if possible. (y)

I'm hoping to go over the top of this.Any idea what it is?I plan on sand and cement as a finish.i have just hacked a bit off and its stuck really well.

Attachments

• 15529864938568504492679769372891.jpg
    15529864938568504492679769372891.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 293
Have you got any mates that have experience in rendering? Would agree with all the above, either get someone with experience to do it and ask if you can knock up for them and get to see someone who knows it doing it. Nothing worse than biting off a bit more than you can chew as you won’t enjoy it and just have grief. I’m sure there is someone out there who would do it and have you along

Have you got any mates that have experience in rendering? Would agree with all the above, either get someone with experience to do it and ask if you can knock up for them and get to see someone who knows it doing it. Nothing worse than biting off a bit more than you can chew as you won’t enjoy it and just have grief. I’m sure there is someone out there who would do it and have you along
Look at it as a crash course training session , mixing and prep for a renderer , you will earn some money and you won't pi55 off your customer , win win

Look at it as a crash course training session , mixing and prep for a renderer , you will earn some money and you won't pi55 off your customer , win win
Not ever condoning crash courses!! Become a spread in a bank holiday weekend is not possible. I’m sure most people on here have had times where they have worked for free once they have paid travel etc but have learnt from an experienced spread. Getting an insight never hurt tho

I'm hoping to go over the top of this.Any idea what it is?I plan on sand and cement as a finish.i have just hacked a bit off and its stuck really well.
That rough cast if that sound you cant get better key like pepel dash . Sbr cement before platering if it loose take it off. Tell customer it not the ideal job might last 30 years might only last 5 years it just the chance you take

I’m not a plasterer, but actually joined this forum to read about rendering and ask questions myself.
One thing I’m curious about with this post, is why would you not take the render off?
As mentioned, I’m not in the trade, but I’ve never heard of render on render, from a layman point of view I need my rendering doing and would probably scream if I knew they were going to render over the stuff already on. Surely if you’re wanting to redo your render, it’s because it’s buggered?
Wouldn’t it be better to take all the old stuff off, less time/effort. Rather than try to pick at any loose bits, secure what you can, then render over the top and hope no bits were damp and then just fall of, bubble/blow and customer ends up unhappy.

Just my train of thought, not being rude, genuinely intrigued to understand the render over render thing, as never heard of that as even being an option.

I’m not a plasterer, but actually joined this forum to read about rendering and ask questions myself.
One thing I’m curious about with this post, is why would you not take the render off?
As mentioned, I’m not in the trade, but I’ve never heard of render on render, from a layman point of view I need my rendering doing and would probably scream if I knew they were going to render over the stuff already on. Surely if you’re wanting to redo your render, it’s because it’s buggered?
Wouldn’t it be better to take all the old stuff off, less time/effort. Rather than try to pick at any loose bits, secure what you can, then render over the top and hope no bits were damp and then just fall of, bubble/blow and customer ends up unhappy.

Just my train of thought, not being rude, genuinely intrigued to understand the render over render thing, as never heard of that as even being an option.
Its cheaper

When they harled walls years ago it was a key for render. The Harling like dash good key if sound. Leaving on dash better key than brick if solid. Cheaper no hacking no dust. It just a chance you take it going to be OK for 5 10 years might do 30 years. Or you hack off to be shoure might be double the cost if needs dubbing out