Render to New Build - Is it ok

Members online

DLivesy

I have recently purchased a new build house and i'm just after a little advice about the rendering.

The top floor is rendered and the ground is exposed brickwork. where the render meets the the brick on the horizontal plane. they appear to have used what i believe are called stop beads.

I don't know if it is all in my head but i swear the mortar just below this point is retaining water and i can't see anything to stop water tracking into the brickwork/cavity.

Am i overthinking it or should they have used a drip bead?

See pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20190710_204908.jpg
    IMG_20190710_204908.jpg
    16.6 MB · Views: 460
I have recently purchased a new build house and i'm just after a little advice about the rendering.

The top floor is rendered and the ground is exposed brickwork. where the render meets the the brick on the horizontal plane. they appear to have used what i believe are called stop beads.

I don't know if it is all in my head but i swear the mortar just below this point is retaining water and i can't see anything to stop water tracking into the brickwork/cavity.

Am i overthinking it or should they have used a drip bead?

See pic attached.
What’s your concerns ?

Should have been a drip bead but it would have still given you concerns.

Ideally the drip would have protruded beyond the face of the brick work but it looks like the render is set behind the face so water is going to land on the ledge.

This is a fault with the blocks being laid too far back, nothing to do with the renderer, he only has 15mm to play with.

Should have been a drip bead but it would have still given you concerns.

Ideally the drip would have protruded beyond the face of the brick work but it looks like the render is set behind the face so water is going to land on the ledge.

This is a fault with the blocks being laid too far back, nothing to do with the renderer, he only has 15mm to play with.
or possibly wrong thickness of bead?

Totally agree with rigsby I had similar job and there was no way of setting up right, the other thing is the lower bricks all over the place too so not a chance in hell of even setting beads on top of all the bricks , quite common on new build , sometimes have to drop sizes down too depending what blocks are like ie done but left for everyone after to put right

Rendering looks good. A drip bead would of been better. The pointing and the setting out are not good.
Whack some clear silicone in to stop water penetration. Or more expensive option, make a feature band that incorporates a drip detail.

It could all be spot on , just some fine it easier to run a bead along the brick line for a sharper finish

Thanks for your response chaps.

The block and brickwork are flush with each other (in theory) but the bricks you see in the picture are a single course of headers that protrudes 25mm from the lower brick and blocks above.

My concern is water penetration into the cavity and if there is a 25mm protrusion with the header bricks i'm assuming theres a 25mm ledge of brick and motar behind for all the rain water to sit on, (I could swear its already looking darker here)

as smedhead said, the render is good but brickwork a little slapdash. More so I wonder if this is more a problem with the architect detail though.

I'm still within defect liability period. Do you think this is something the developer will take seriously if I approach them about it or to save a running battle and endless emails would filling it with silicone myself suffice? Affraid im not sure what a feature band is.

Thanks for your response chaps.

The block and brickwork are flush with each other (in theory) but the bricks you see in the picture are a single course of headers that protrudes 25mm from the lower brick and blocks above.

My concern is water penetration into the cavity and if there is a 25mm protrusion with the header bricks i'm assuming theres a 25mm ledge of brick and motar behind for all the rain water to sit on, (I could swear its already looking darker here)

as smedhead said, the render is good but brickwork a little slapdash. More so I wonder if this is more a problem with the architect detail though.

I'm still within defect liability period. Do you think this is something the developer will take seriously if I approach them about it or to save a running battle and endless emails would filling it with silicone myself suffice? Affraid im not sure what a feature band is.

Are you an engineer by any chance?

No. Think I'd have more pressing concerns if it was.

Zombie - I never wanted to be, I just sort of fell into it.