Rendering for Dummies

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Sparrow

Morning guys.

I'm still very new to plastering and I have been asked to quote for a small rendering job. Trouble is, on my intensive course I took last year, we covered rendering in 1 day and I have forgotten most of it. Actually, all of it!! The area to cover is a wall about 5sqm (so a nice size for beginners) which includes a couple of windows. There is render there at the moment which needs removing as its rubbish by all accounts (I haven't seen it). I'm not sure whether it is brick or thermalite below the render.

Here is what I was gonna do so any comments on whether this is wrong or right would be great:

1) remove old render, rake out joints.
2) soak wall and apply sbr bonding agent.
3) Stick the angle beads on around the reveals and on the external angle
4) apply a scratch coat about 10mm thick (4:1 mix including waterproofer)
5) wait until that goes off then apply the top coat (5:1 mix including waterproofer)

Does that sound ok?

My only real concern is about the beads. Do I set them so they are 20mm off the wall and apply the first coat say 10mm deep, then the top coat 10mm deep and use a straight edge on the beads to rule it all off flat?

Also, I assume I have to apply the scratch coats while the sbr bonding agent is still wet?

That seems ok ;), depending what you are rendering over theres no need for the sbr coat if its brick or block the raking of the joints will give you a good key , what you said about the beads is about right as well . If you want put some Hydrated lime in to the top the same amount as the cement . Wait a couple of days in between coats.

and dont go on plastering courses learn for 40 quid a day and learn how to do it properly :)

Render Systems said:
spunky said:
and dont go on plastering courses learn for 40 quid a day and learn how to do it properly :)
I totaly agree here work for £10.00 a day and learn properly... PS im hiring soon

If I could go back that is certainly how I would do it. You get trowel time on plastering courses but you can just as easily get that at home practicing. What you actually learn is very little. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though!!

Can someone explain why lime goes in the top coat but not in the scratch coat?

Lime is added to the mix for the top coat to make it easier to rub up and to bind the s+c together and to help prevent the mix drying too quickly and therefore help prevent cracking.
Hope this helps :)

Mr Sparrow said:
Render Systems said:
spunky said:
I totaly agree here work for £10.00 a day and learn properly... PS im hiring soon

If I could go back that is certainly how I would do it. You get trowel time on plastering courses but you can just as easily get that at home practicing. What you actually learn is very little. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though!!

Can someone explain why lime goes in the top coat but not in the scratch coat?

its not make believe mate good luck youll get trowel time on site and you wont cut it till 3 years on board at least

Status
Not open for further replies.