rendering water proof sealers?

hyeung

Anyone advise on options for water repellent sealers for smooth render and pebbledash?
Are these all normally impregnating type sealers?

Also, would applying these have any future painting restrictions?

Yes, or cream.

And yes.
Cheers Bro

Can you share with me what your recommended options would be on smooth render? and also pebbledash?

In most cases for smooth render, are you better just sticking with a decent masonry paint? or is there specific advantages for these invisible sealers?

I was told about Stontex Facade Pro 500 as impregnating sealer. Good benefits but I get the impression that you cannot paint over the treated surface. For any minor render patch-up repairs, you wont have the option to paint the surface for uniform finish. I assume other sealers are similar in nature...
What your thoughts?

Cream impregnates more/further into surface

It lasts longer as does the repellency effect. The theory is a drier house is also warmer.

As for paint, depends on how good the render looks, what's the finish like? There are some cracking paints available now.

If it's dashing, that's a slag to paint on the best of days, I'd want to spray a sealer or cream it. (Spreads lovely.)

IMG_2459.jpeg

Cream impregnates more/further into surface

It lasts longer as does the repellency effect. The theory is a drier house is also warmer.

As for paint, depends on how good the render looks, what's the finish like? There are some cracking paints available now.

If it's dashing, that's a slag to paint on the best of days, I'd want to spray a sealer or cream it. (Spreads lovely.)

If I am correct, I think the problem with these impregnating treatments is that poses limitations on future painting. As it wont adhere to the treated surface properly. Don't get me wrong, I would rather not have to paint if you can help it. The only reasons for paint is due to existing or new patch up work i.e. minor cracks/holes to be filled. From experience colour matching is impossible at the best of times, just depends on how noticeable things are. Attach are some previous existing repairs that were done a few years ago, which i've lived with until such time we consider painting.

As we're gonna get the render walls cleaned and potentially some additional patch up, the dilemma is whenever to consider the treatments or just stick with good old paint which means any future patch-up you can still consider doing further paint jobs unlike the impregnating treatment routes?
Plus, not ensure how noticeable those existing repairs would look like after a proper clean i.e. might be better to paint and get a new uniform finish all round?
At the sametime, i do like the sound of the benefits of the treatments....?

Was consider Emperor paints which seems to give good feedback? -

Also, agree that i would never want to paint dashing. However, I would consider the treatment on the dashing instead - additional water protection.

Any additional thoughts around this? For the render would you treat or paint?

Attachments

• render1.jpg
    render1.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5243.jpg
    IMG_5243.jpg
    817.4 KB · Views: 67
Paint

Emperor is good.

But with them hairlines, kingfisher weatherflex all day long.
Aye those hairlines were a previous fix a few years ago. Still look ok i think..
However, notice a few wee holes and some hairlines forming around the corner garage that need filling...
Contractor was going to use a K Rend colour filler for those.
Like you say i'm tending towards Emperor for the smooth render....suppose be hydrophobic and long lasting.
To paint onto bare unpainted render, I assume Emperor primer followed by 2 coats of the Emperor masonry will be it?

For the pebbledash, the contractor is recommending their impregnating treatment to keep the surface in better condition longer i.e. cleaner and better protected to water/freezing. Been advise it'll last at least 5 years if not more.
I think there's probably lots of variations to the same product/chemical - POTASSIUM METHYLSILICONATE

My main concerns is the breathability, as I don't want to cause myself problems with trapped moisture. But its claims to be vapour permeable. However, i assume the base and coating (cement mix) of the pebbledash are normally not that breathable anyways?

Do you think its a good idea to consider this on the dashing? or best to stay way and leave dashing alone?

Attachments

• IMG_5162.jpg
    IMG_5162.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5166.jpg
    IMG_5166.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5164.jpg
    IMG_5164.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 69
Look at post number 7

⬆️⬆️⬆️
Bro just trying to decide which options are best for the long run on both smooth render and dashing.
Guess I just don't want to "paint" myself in a corner once i take the sealer route...

1) If i'm right post #7 is basically stick to paint on the smooth render as being the best option i.e. decent emperor paint or kingfishers. That is my gut feel just now....plus able to do future repairs and paint over which i dont think you can once you use a sealer as the main limiting factor.

2) For dashing. Wouldn't want to paint it, so sealing might be a good protective option in this case.
But the similar argument as (1) if you seal dashing you would be limiting yourself on repairs i.e. likely require to re-dash entire walls instead of just a localised dashing repair and paint the wall instead.
Based on the above, would you still favour sealing dashing despite the painting limitations?

Once sealed, with a hydrophobic or superhydrophobic sealer, if you then want to paint - no paint manufacturer is going to guarantee adhesion without s**t loads of further prep. Forming a key and f**k**g around.

And in your case, looking at them pics, them surfaces are not in good enough nic for a sealer.

Once sealed, with a hydrophobic or superhydrophobic sealer, if you then want to paint - no paint manufacturer is going to guarantee adhesion without s**t loads of further prep. Forming a key and f**k**g around.

And in your case, looking at them pics, them surfaces are not in good enough nic for a sealer.

Thanks bro.
The plan was always to get those smooth surfaces patched up and repaired before applying anything over it - paint or sealer.. Conclude that paint is my best option for the render.

For the dashing, think i'll leave it as is.

Don't know if its just me, but find these hydrophobic sealers are a bit of strange product in terms of who their target against? Good advantages but limitations on future painting is a big one no? Especially for all forms of old or new render/dashing surfaces which one is bound to encounter repairs in their life time that require painting eh?

I guess same could be said even with general brickwork properties. Maybe different situation for brick based new builds....but then again you wouldn't even consider the need for these sealers for newer homes?

Creams and Sealers are good for:

mono renders, decent looking finished surfaces with no cracks (or just micro cracks as cream can bridge to a degree), old brickwork to improve water resistant and ageing/weathering etc

Some are also anti graffiti aswell,

Yours needs attention thiugh, then paint

Nowhere near good enough for sealer/cream

No paint or sealer will bridge that crack between the dashing and render.

Needs attention.