Renovation of old painted render on solid brick and block - advice and quote for work?

davidismynaim

Hi, first post on here, thought it was better to start a new thread rather than resurrect an old one. I am looking to renovate a large 4 bed semi that is old painted render. About 50% of which was re-rendered about 9 years ago (but not great then and worse now), some patchwork was done at that time too, to repair some of the worst cracks on the render that was left.

The whole house was then painted and is now in desperate need of attention. The choices I am considering are:-
  1. traditional repair work to the worst of the cracks and repaint in sandex - not keen on complete a full hack off and start again!
  2. A thin Vimark or Parex or other thin top coat to provide a paint-free (quality?) finish
  3. Other? - open to recommendations.

Ideally, want to avoid hacking it all off again. The two extensions (large single story extension to the left of the building and smaller utility room at the back are block, the original building is solid brick construction. See photos attached.

Much of the wooden Fascia, Soffits, and Bargeboards needs replacement (or upvc coverings), so will look to do this at the same time.

Any recommendations on the best approach and folk in the region - Bushey, Hertfordshire who might be interested in in the work.

Thanks
David

Attachments

• IMG_2867.JPG
    IMG_2867.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2869.JPG
    IMG_2869.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_2870.JPG
    IMG_2870.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_2871.JPG
    IMG_2871.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 335
  • IMG_2872.JPG
    IMG_2872.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 733
  • IMG_2874.JPG
    IMG_2874.JPG
    973.2 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_2875.JPG
    IMG_2875.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2879.JPG
    IMG_2879.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 338
  • IMG_2880.JPG
    IMG_2880.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 331
The front doesn’t look too bad, the rest.... not so good.

Those cracks are quite wide so I’d be a bit dubious about putting anything over them as they (to me) look like they will come back.

If your extensions are in decent condition with existing render over block, I’d be tempted to base out with parex parinter and go from there.

The existing side walls and existing back wall look terrible and I would want those stripping to see what was happening underneath.

The water run off seems poor too as you have water staining and marks on a lot of it.

You’ve got to ask yourself whether your staying in the property long term, a quick fix to flip the property or if your planning on moving in the next 3/5 years is ok, but if your wanting any sort of long term benefits from a new render I think I’d bite the bullet and strip it.

The sides look bad and worth hacking off to see what’s going on and it has been said, bite the bullet - strip it and do the job well rather than keep patching, that render is at the end of its life. If you’re flipping the house...patch up, paint and go, let someone else deal with it.

Thanks for the comments so far. Looks like a decision about how long I want to stay at the address. Anyone fancy quoting for the work, Bushey - Near Watford, Herts?

Thanks for the comments so far. Looks like a decision about how long I want to stay at the address. Anyone fancy quoting for the work, Bushey - Near Watford, Herts?
I don't quote old work , good luck