Rib lath, rendalath or renderboard on timber frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeP

I am a newby to this site and hope some of you can help reduce the confusion around the options for rendering onto a timber frame.

In brief the frame has 9mm OSB, membrane, 38mm batons, 4" DPC over the batons
The architect specified stainless steel Rendalath to take 20mm of render, the roof line is set for a 22mm render (rendalath and render).

I have had a couple of people around to look at the job and they bring a range of opinions, they are -
  • ditch rendalath as it is expensive - use building paper and riblath (I am unsure on this because I read you need to use the correct type of riblath)
  • use knauf aqua panels - (I like the idea of this as they could be put on and the frame sit over winter to render next spring, however with a 12mm board I am worried the render will exceed the roof line)
  • stick with rendalath as it is a quick solution, in a dry spell fix it and get the first coat of render on to get watertight - do the remaining coats in the spring

So a range of choices, cost is a factor but not overriding as I want the job right. Also lots of rain is a given as we live in the North West, Kendal area.

Advice, guidance would be much appreciated

Mike

Alright bud aqua panel with a thin coat render may be an option? There's a knauf guy on here (runswithscissors). he'll be able to offer you best advice and help,no doubt he'll be along soon...:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi Mike

My name is Richard Lord and I am the Knauf Aquapanel Exterior Specification Manager - drop me an E Mail with your project details and I will assist further..... rlord@knauf.co.uk, or give me a call on 07918766577

You fix the board to the batten, instead of the dpc and lath, then apply a minimum 6mm render (you have various options for renders, including mineral renders) so the finish will be thinner than the proposals you have explained above. I can assist and advise the batten details and layout.

Yes you can apply the Knauf Aquapanel Exterior, tape and joint it, and then leave it over the wet and cold months to clean and render later (up to 6 months). This leaves you to carry on with the internal fit out - or even move in for the finish to be applied later, if you want.....

There are a few lads from the lakes on here - I am sure they will be more than happy to assist (I have several TF builds up your way that are stating in the next few months, dependant on your build schedule maybe I can visit to assit further).

BTW - there are lots of guys with options, see what else gets offered

All the best

What render finish have you decided on mike or are you still flexible ? Where the render terminates are you flexible is it set out for 22mm or can it be slightly less

Status
Not open for further replies.