rough cast

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
so basicly rough cast is a combination of grit, sand and cement? and you make the mix quite wet.
and flick on the wall. do u have to apply scratch coat first or is it done similar to pebble dash? cheers

Rough cast or wet dash call it what you will, is basicly a three coat render its a scratch coat and butter coat while the butter is still wet you throw the dash onto it, the dash is mixed like pissy concrete if im mixin it i use 6buckets 10mm limestone, 1 washed sand usually silver sand and one white cement. you can use Portland cement if you want . I have mentioned this before try KREND roughcast prebagged render great stuff and pretty forgiving.

a butter coat is that the top coat thats still wet? if so do u have to feather the butter coat out. cheers

a butter coat is the top coat thats still wet? if so do u have to feather the butter coat out
Thats it mate, When you say feather it out you mean ruling it straight with the edge or darby like any render rule the top coat try not to freehand it if you can help it.

now this is starting to lose me??... i 'feather out' from thickness to nothing...e.g. patching with skim...
i would never ever attempt the same thing with render, possibly bonding pre skim..
with render id use a stop bead or hack off back to an edge
i take it your on about ruling off?? as in flattening the wall with a big straight thing like a derby or a feather edge...ooooooooooo i see now!!!! i get it!!! a feather edge is for ruling off!! not feathering out!!! lololololll ;D ;D

Yeah just give the butter a quick darby, take the high spots off so you get an even spread of pebbles in the mortar when you dash.

just have to find some where to practise now, ill go down my nans bungalow and tell her it all needs rendering again because its blown. ;D and do all of it in different finishes :eek:

Ill give you your dues mate you sound keen enough, think it was Segs who said it the other day try and offer yourself for free to some one doing a bit of render you'll learn more in one day than you will reading it on here ;)

be better than knocking 30 percent off the value of your inheritance!! ;)

yeah ive tried, but know one wants to know. ill just experiment down my nans.
At the end of the day. If i'd been plastering since i was 15years old and some 1 rang me up. Bacisly asking me to show them how to do it, id probably tell them to feck right off

maybe thats where youre goin wrong mate...
id do the same thing under the same circumstances...
if somebody rang me up with what i want to hear however...different story...
lets just say somebody rang me and offered to do something for nothing id be wary, but interested...
further that, 'ill be your gopher, u tell me EXACTLY what to do, ill do EXACTLY THAT for nothing, for three days, i dont want a job, i just want to learn, it'll cost you nothing'
not in those words but that is basically what i would love to hear....NOT 'i would come and fanny about for a day, make you and your firm look like idiots, make a right mess, and in return i want you to teach me how to render'
big difference...
any young lad comes to me and shows me willing, learns quick, DOESNT seem to think that after 5 minutes he knows everything and questions my every decision, picks up enough, quick enough, so he's puttin my tools in front of me where i need em is gonna get the full force of whatever i think his young brain can handle with reference to his experience and maturity, after that, when he can do what ive shown him, to a REASONABLE standard, i might let him run a job....
then, when he's been RUNNING the job for a couple of years, he might be able to give me some advice, or better still, if he's switched on and better than me, go run his own business..............................
in fact, ill bet anyone thats ever been in a similar boat as me...well..insert your comment here...

ill have another ring round, id probably do there heads in asking loads of questions no stop all day, they'd probably send me home at dinner time ;D

hey segs i know next time you've got a rendering job on ill come and help u. ill bring the tins mast :D and can i stay round your house ;D

i live in peterborough, im overboarding and skimming next week, you bring the tins, you can stay at mine, 1 week, youre on the couch and youre cookin tea 1 nite, make it a good recipe, i like curry, missus and kids like nuggets and chips, free shower, towels, evening meal, sandwich for dinner, fanny about and your sacked, on the spot :)

youll like this..sort of 'modern to moderner' sort of job...i'll be at wickes peterborough, 8-8.30 tomorrow morning, r plate white transit....bring a cordless :)

im workin 2moro segs mate. cheers for the offer though, cant bring myself to take a day off work. also i just had a look on Google map and peterborough is fecking miles away. think ill try a bit closer to home

also just bought a rendering dvd from ukspreads, ill watch that a few times and have a crack down my nan's ive got an idea of how its done, just not sure about the timing

some1 said to me the other day 'the person who never made any mistakes, never learnt anything'
or something like that

i make enuff f'ckups to ensure i keep going...day i start gettin it right every day is the day ill give up and become a consultant for country life.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.