Running a cable to my garage

Members online

Hello CHaps :D

Right, I want to get electric to a garage... I have had quotes to do this and as always with electricians they have given me different information....

The garage is about 70meters away from a power supply and so one company has said they will dig a trench and bury the cable etc which is fine.

Another company has said they can clip the armoured cable to the trunks of the hedge that run all the way up to the garage and that is the best and easiest way of doing it. There is no need to dig an 18 inch trench through my lawn....

The guy that wants to dig a trench said that cable surface mounted will get eaten by animals and will rot out...

Ideally for me the cable going under the massive hedge seems like a better option as I dont really want to dig up the lawn and the driveway (i probably wont bother if that is the case) But I am totally unsure which is the best option and also which is the correct way.

Right, I want to get electric to a garage... I have had quotes to do this and as always with electricians they have given me different information....

The garage is about 70meters away from a power supply and so one company has said they will dig a trench and bury the cable etc which is fine.

Another company has said they can clip the armoured cable to the trunks of the hedge that run all the way up to the garage and that is the best and easiest way of doing it. There is no need to dig an 18 inch trench through my lawn....

The guy that wants to dig a trench said that cable surface mounted will get eaten by animals and will rot out...

Ideally for me the cable going under the massive hedge seems like a better option as I dont really want to dig up the lawn and the driveway (i probably wont bother if that is the case) But I am totally unsure which is the best option and also which is the correct way.

U want to go with putting the cable down the hedge because it's cheaper. I'd put it in the ground. Dig under the hedge.

Use a tesla transmitter and receiver, you will have to get the blue prints off J.P. Morgan and his cronies mind as he stole them.
https://www.damninteresting.com/teslas-tower-of-power/

Bit of bell wire. Straight up the garden, most direct root, let the grass grow over it. Problem solved...
TEF? @Olican will be beside himself!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

lay it loose overground, to protect it from varmints sprinkle broken glass from all the pint mugs over it....@clemo won't mind...its for a good cause....:p:D

armoured cable in hedges will be fine. have to be big pests to eat away at that.

Bit of bell wire. Straight up the garden, most direct root, let the grass grow over it. Problem solved...
TEF? @Olican will be beside himself!

Already joined, started a thread titled "Dust pan & brush" offering advice on how to use and maintain a simple cleaning implement. 183 comments all saying they'd never hears of such a thing :rayos:

Already joined, started a thread titled "Dust pan & brush" offering advice on how to use and maintain a simple cleaning implement. 183 comments all saying they'd never hears of such a thing :rayos:

Pmsl

If it's going underground he should be using a mole with no disruption to the lawn other than the blade slice. That said, SWA is fine for running on the surface, you wouldn't use anything else anyway as the voltage drop and Ze over that distance will need some meaty cable.

Don't clip it to the hedge trunks, that'd be daft for a couple of reasons. Firstly hedges grow, cables and clips don't. Secondly it's too exposed to damage from clippers or trimmers. They won't get through the armour, but if they nick the casing the armour will rust. Sit it about six inches above the ground on stakes and it'll be fine.

What type of main earth has the house got? I'd think it'll either be PME (back down the cable from the head) or TT (to a spike). If it's PME make sure the electrician exports the PME from the house and under no circumstances should he be earthing it at the garage end. If it's TT it can go on a spike at the garage end too, but he'll probably have to use the armour and the earth cable in the SWA to get enough CSA for the potential current with an earth fault.

They should have an RCBO or RCD where the cable leaves the Henley block (or from the CU), as well as a lower amperage one in between the end of the SWA and whatever it's feeding. I say should, but check that they do.

Ha ha ha!
f**k**g brilliant!

Need to do a thread titled 'how to fill chases'

If it's going underground he should be using a mole with no disruption to the lawn other than the blade slice. That said, SWA is fine for running on the surface, you wouldn't use anything else anyway as the voltage drop and Ze over that distance will need some meaty cable.

Don't clip it to the hedge trunks, that'd be daft for a couple of reasons. Firstly hedges grow, cables and clips don't. Secondly it's too exposed to damage from clippers or trimmers. They won't get through the armour, but if they nick the casing the armour will rust. Sit it about six inches above the ground on stakes and it'll be fine.

What type of main earth has the house got? I'd think it'll either be PME (back down the cable from the head) or TT (to a spike). If it's PME make sure the electrician exports the PME from the house and under no circumstances should he be earthing it at the garage end. If it's TT it can go on a spike at the garage end too, but he'll probably have to use the armour and the earth cable in the SWA to get enough CSA for the potential current with an earth fault.

They should have an RCBO or RCD where the cable leaves the Henley block (or from the CU), as well as a lower amperage one in between the end of the SWA and whatever it's feeding. I say should, but check that they do.

Can you type that out again without the Acronym's? LOL.

if going under ground use a mole, a thrust hole borer, you just dig a hole at both ends of the run and aim the thrust hole borer in the correct direction, as long as there are no services in the run.

if going under ground use a mole, a thrust hole borer, you just dig a hole at both ends of the run and aim the thrust hole borer in the correct direction, as long as there are no services in the run.

Well that post's not going to cause any tittering at the back of the class. :eek: :LOL:

its a long way... there will be drains and all sorts I am sure of that

Ten year ago my dad said he was going to run electricity out to my garage for me, he's retired and was looking for stuff to do. Got home for work and inspected what he done and I couldn't believe it. He used a 6mm cable and put a plug on it and plugged it into an upstairs bedroom. He drilled outside and fed the cable out then tied it in a knot around the down pipe to stop the plug getting pulled out. He then had the cable coming down across the length of the back garden and coming in the top of the garage where it was tied in another knot on a pole to stop it moving then fed it in and he wired up an old fuse box and had a strip light in centre of garage and a couple of sockets. If you thank that's bad so far the best is yet to come.

He put a joint in the middle of the suspended cable above the garden and connected it with a connector block with some insulation tape wrapped round it lol I kid you not. Best thing about is was it worked though lol would just plug the plug in upstairs and I had light in my garage but I always made sure I pulled it back out when I wasn't using it.

I "laid a cable" once in a customers garage (y) but I forgot to empty the bucket I laid it in and it stank :rayos: :oops:

I "laid a cable" once in a customers garage (y) but I forgot to empty the bucket I laid it in and it stank :rayos: :oops:

I got to a new site early one morning busting to 'lay a cable' and stumbled around in the dark until I found some old outbuildings where it was laid .
When the sun came up I realised I had been parked next to the toilet and had sh#t in the store room next to the site agents office . As he walked me into the office to sign in he reeled back and said a fox must have got in ! Must have been a bloody big fox I thought :eek: