scrapping down Artex

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the idea of bonding over artex you haven't scraped so wouldn't know how well it's bonded to the ceil

To test you scrape a small section. Literally 1" square. Cover it with gaffa tape till the results come back. That's what used to do when I was doing insurance work anyway

Alright best send to lab for test to make sure. If client can't wait and get other plasterer to do it without testing then be my guest
Give me the number then lol I seriously don't give a flying **** about scrapping artex I think it's a massive overkill about nothing fair enough if the boards are aspestos I won't touch it, also say I wrote to all my customers in ten years saying your ceiling had asbestos and you never told me or had it tested would I have a case?

Good point, if I say to customers if ceiling contain asbestos, if they are unsure then they have it tested? As my health and customers are paramount as not worth the risk. Would you scrap off high spots of artex prior to skim customer don't know if it contain asbestos or not? Sorry to ask as want to have expert's opinion. Btw green pre grit is awesome and lovely to plaster, no blowing, drag marks etc! Thanks for tip :)[/QUOT

are you still at work Ryan? :rolleyes)

I always overboard Ryan quicker and cleaner get a collated screw gun and you won't need to put holes in a ceiling to find the joists.

does a collated gun find joists that a normal screw gun doesnt like flynny.....................:huh:

does a collated gun find joists that a normal screw gun doesnt like flynny.....................:huh:
It does tap the ceiling you will find the joist by the sound then send in three screws side by side will give you the centre of the joist if your scared of artex leave the screws in if your not take them out :)

lol. i still cant see how a collated gun finds joists better than a normal screw gun

I think I will go up to loft and drill a hole on either side of joist, go down to room and measure the centres - if downstairs ceiling then screw gun to find joist easier coz floor joist are wider than ceiling ones.
Lol that has got to be the longest way to find a joist

I've got an old lath hammer and the axe is sharp as a razor, tap a little hole find first joist, next one is approximately a hammers length away find that , chalk line , done! Takes minutes to do :RpS_thumbsup:

I think I will go up to loft and drill a hole on either side of joist, go down to room and measure the centres - if downstairs ceiling then screw gun to find joist easier coz floor joist are wider than ceiling ones.

If you weighed as much as me you wouldn't chance going in the loft :RpS_blushing:

What I like about this forum as brings wreath of tips and some banters - far better than college who tutor who last plaster years ago and lost out.
Personally I like my lath hammer and would recommend you get one, estwing make a really good one, great for knocking off snots and hacking off loose walls

Just remember when over-boarding to explain to the customer how you intend to find the joists AND that you may hit a cable or pipe and that you cannot be held responsible as -following best practice - they should not be there in the first place. It is rare but it does happen.
Hitting a pipe will become obvious right away, but nipping a cable might not, so try and check circuits before you skim :RpS_thumbup:

I've gone through a cable a few times and it's a ******* troweling up you keep getting a shock through your trowel but if the electric didn't blow you will be sound lol

Status
Not open for further replies.