Should I be worried here? Lime render

Members online

R

Rob22888

I’ve got a Victorian stone terrace, circa 1860 and built with lime mortar. The kitchen wall at the back was covered in cement render, this had many hollow patches and we had damp problems.

After spending some time dilligently doing research I decided I wanted it re-rendering with lime. Found a contractor who seemed to know his stuff and he hacked off the cement and applied a 3 coat lime render over the course of 2 weeks.

6 months on & i’m worried - it’s still damp where the wall was dampest around the bottom. See attached photo.

Should I be worried? Is it reasonable to expect it to take this long to dry out or have we spent our money on the wrong treatment here?

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• D124A382-0FF5-4A2C-812B-5FDF0F3B5815.jpeg
    D124A382-0FF5-4A2C-812B-5FDF0F3B5815.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 509
You have a few water works in that corner. What is to the left behind that curtain?

The water is coming from somewhere.
Cracked drain, dripping outside tap, waste pipe leaking, there’s an open strap boss on the 4” down pipe that will drip shitty pissy water when you flush the toilet.

i'd check that outside tap for leaks.....maybe there's a pipe joint in wall that's seeping.
Those grey push fit fittings are the worst.
Hep20 are good but speed fit easier to use.
Most people neglect putting inserts in barrier pipe after a while any side pressure will warp barrier pipe.
Can't beat copper though.

You have a few water works in that corner. What is to the left behind that curtain?
It’s a wall to the left dividing us from next door that butts up against the house, the damp patch actually starts at the height of the wall.

As for the waterworks, waste seems to flow unhindered from that waste pipe into the drain from what I have seen from under the drain cover. There was a leak from the elbow joint for the outside tap, I have replaced that. No waterworks from neighbours nearby so I’m a bit stumped. The boss fitting on the waste pipe now has the boiler condensate pipe plumbed into it.

Here are some pictures from right now and a shot I took from when the render was off (yes I was shocked by the window fit too!).

I feel like maybe the render could do with not touching the ground?

Attachments

• 5CE1A78A-B569-4C8A-9ABB-3B2E26CC5EF8.jpeg
    5CE1A78A-B569-4C8A-9ABB-3B2E26CC5EF8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 429
  • 97D9C25E-C5B3-42BC-99F3-9CCF2F5B0844.jpeg
    97D9C25E-C5B3-42BC-99F3-9CCF2F5B0844.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 431
  • 0C2630B6-11A9-44BC-AECA-6F6259A36BBB.jpeg
    0C2630B6-11A9-44BC-AECA-6F6259A36BBB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 459
What's wall built from.
Is the garden wall rendered both sides. What's the capping on it.
Any chance water is getting behind render where wall butts to house and causing damp.
Ideally garden wall shouldn't be butted against house. Probably no barrier between it and house. Penetrating damp.
At a guess and I would presume your side is north facing or not as much sun as rest so not drying out as easy as rest. Not that , that should be come into play.

It’s true the damp area doesn’t get as much sun, pretty much always in the shade.

The garden wall itself is a brick wall & is cement rendered on both sides. Concrete plinth on top.

Oh I should add that next door have a small annex extension butted up to there side of it. I am assuming it’s rendered beneath because the rest of their garden walls are, like every other houses garden walls in the terrace.

I’ve got a Victorian stone terrace, circa 1860 and built with lime mortar. The kitchen wall at the back was covered in cement render, this had many hollow patches and we had damp problems.

After spending some time dilligently doing research I decided I wanted it re-rendering with lime. Found a contractor who seemed to know his stuff and he hacked off the cement and applied a 3 coat lime render over the course of 2 weeks.

6 months on & i’m worried - it’s still damp where the wall was dampest around the bottom. See attached photo.

Should I be worried? Is it reasonable to expect it to take this long to dry out or have we spent our money on the wrong treatment here?

Any help appreciated.
dig down see whats wrong at the pipe in corner/ not any thing to do with render

Had the drains CCTVd, no problem with the soil stack believe it or not but a small leak from the gully that i've had sorted. I've taken the patio away from the wall, dug down and put in an ACO drain and finished with a channel of gravel against the wall. Also replaced all the pipework for the outside tap.

Pretty sure i've eliminated all potential sources of damp now, so if it doesn't dry i'm stumped to be honest!

Any help appreciated.
You saying the grey render is damp and should be white like rest ?

Any help appreciated.

Any help appreciated.
Are you saying the grey render is damp and should be white like rest of wall?

Had the drains CCTVd, no problem with the soil stack believe it or not but a small leak from the gully that i've had sorted. I've taken the patio away from the wall, dug down and put in an ACO drain and finished with a channel of gravel against the wall. Also replaced all the pipework for the outside tap.

Pretty sure i've eliminated all potential sources of damp now, so if it doesn't dry i'm stumped to be honest!
It’s dry mate not the same render as rest