Should I start plastering

Members online

LocoRay

Hi guys and gals.
I'm turning 30 this year, and looking for a change and a new career.

I've been in the building/roofing game since I was 15 so I'm not a complete idiot
I've just had enough now of been on the roofs.
I've had an opportunity come up, to get on site and start training with a plaster who's been at it the last 35 years or so.
Just looking at people's general opinions please.
As I said I'm not an idiot, and can dab a wall out, skim a small wall/ceiling.
Just think is it worth going into full time.
And instead of being a jack of all trades, become a master of one!!

I do enjoy plastering and the satisfaction of a finished job.
I was also thinking of going into abit of a niche roll of Venetian plastering, I have dabbled with microcement (concrete finishes on walls and floors) in the past.

Any thoughts and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
Ps I'm from the UK if that helps.
Ray

Hi guys and gals.

I've been in the building/roofing game since I was 15 so I'm not a complete idiot
I've had an opportunity come up, to get on site and start training with a plaster who's been at it the last 35 years or so.

I was also thinking of going into abit of a niche roll of Venetian plastering, I have dabbled with microcement (concrete finishes on walls and floors) in the past.

Thanks again.
Ray

In short no....you will be f**k*d in 10yrs retrain in electrical or plumbing.

Thread closed!

You'll be in your mid to late 30s before you're any good unfortunately.. not the best thing to start at 30 years old. I'd stick with what you know if I was you, or something close to it.

Be a decorator be easier to learn at your age brush and a roller and off you go!! Call yourself brush strokes! Put a advert on google and bobs ya uncle you made it (y)

Hi guys and gals.

Thanks again.
Ray
The trouble with this game is on site it's full on all day price work what we do . If your not used to it its brutal on the body

Hi guys and gals.

Thanks again.
Ray
Train in sparking it much easier on your body

Hi guys and gals.

Thanks again.
Ray

I've got to say that roofing is the most miserable job on the site. Walking about like a f**k**g haggis all day hurting your ankles. It's heavy work and it's boring as f**k.

The only people in the trade who are madder is groundworkers.

You've got to be mad to want to do it and if you're not it'll drive you mad if you stick at it.

The trouble with this game is on site it's full on all day price work what we do . If your not used to it its brutal on the body
Thanks for the helpful reply mate, haven't had many on here, don't know what's wrong with everybody
Not fussed about being full on, and on price work I've been labouring on evenings and weekends with a plasterer so I know the score.
Thanks anyway dude

I've got to say that roofing is the most miserable job on the site. Walking about like a f**k**g haggis all day hurting your ankles. It's heavy work and it's boring as f**k.

You've got to be mad to want to do it and if you're not it'll drive you mad if you stick at it.
Yeah mate the roofing is just really getting to me now and I need that change.
There's nothing wrong with being a little mad

I think scaffolding be one of easiest to pick up but that’s a brutal job on the body!

Just go to aldi . Job for life and tou can talk on head phones all day
They pay quite well for the type of job it is really!! Might get a application tomorrow, I wonder if they give in store discount :ROFLMAO: No more dust!! Got a tiny piece of plasterboard in me eye today only just come out about 10 minutes ago! And there’s me thinking I got it earlier the sneaky little fooker:ROFLMAO:

They pay quite well for the type of job it is really!! Might get a application tomorrow, I wonder if they give in store discount :ROFLMAO: No more dust!! Got a tiny piece of plasterboard in me eye today only just come out about 10 minutes ago! And there’s me thinking I got it earlier the sneaky little fooker:ROFLMAO:
should have washed your hands before wanking

Hi guys and gals.

Thanks again.
Ray
I'm doing a thin coat job now on a building that's worth £7,000 but the roof is worth £60,000 zinc roof get into that you're halfway there are

I'd say go into flat roofing .ones I've seen they charge 2500 quid takes 2days say 500 materials . How does that work.if we did it we'd be banged up.

I'd say go into flat roofing .ones I've seen they charge 2500 quid takes 2days say 500 materials . How does that work.if we did it we'd be banged up.

People are scared of it, that's why. We used to do topseal installation during the boom. I don't think we charged quite as much as that ... can't remember now but it was a good wedge.