skimming internal mitres on coved frieze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BARFLY

hello everyone, this is my first post. been reading the forum for several months but have only just registered in light of the new rules - though i had better sign up and start posting. anyway, the question is as above. i''ve no problems skimming the coved frieze all the way round the room, either up to the lid or across the ceiling, but i just can't get my head round the internal mitres. i've tried several tips such as brushing the plaster in and then sponging flat, or trying to skim them with a corner trowel with an upward motion, but they still end up looking crap compared with the rest of the job. b*****d is things are quite quiet this time of year as you know and i've just landed a house full of coved ceilings. any advice?

Not quite sure what you mean mate, but if you mean repairing the internal mitres on the cornice then try a paint scraper or better still a joint rule.

Im like the rest, not sure what your on about. If its the gaps on the internal miters then get yourself a joint rule and fill them in and rule off.

I think you mean that the ceiling has been formed, and becomes one piece down to the picture rail, when i do ceilings like that put it all on first and not worry about the mitres till last then touch them in using a margin trowel to get in as close as i can then use a small tool to get right into the mitre and use them smaller tools to trowel the corners up

plasterer/steve said:
I think you mean that the ceiling has been formed, and becomes one piece down to the picture rail, when i do ceilings like that put it all on first and not worry about the mitres till last then touch them in using a margin trowel to get in as close as i can then use a small tool to get right into the mitre and use them smaller tools to trowel the corners up
thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

yeah, sorry, i'm talking when the ceiling has been formed like steve says. i've know you can get coving trowels with different radius for when you are forming them but wondered if there was something about to help you skim them.

BARFLY said:
yeah, sorry, i'm talking when the ceiling has been formed like steve says. i've know you can get coving trowels with different radius for when you are forming them but wondered if there was something about to help you skim them.
ive done s few of them and not very well im afraid,ive a feelin youve got to be a good spread cause i couldny find a tool meself!

Status
Not open for further replies.