Skimming over white wash paint :s

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinny08

??? hey my fellow mud chuckers hows things? i have a staircase, porch and landing to skim on the weekend,. walls and ceiling. When i went to price the job i noticed that the paint was peeling off in places and straight away i thought to myself theres a possibility it could be white wash. From my experience when plastering on top of white wash it seems to just peel off.
by any chance could you please to me a solution to this problem if possible. thanks ;)

Like bruce says,its the only way,if u spray the wall with warm water it will come away a little quicker as does artex.Then use stabilising solution and pva and skim or bondit /wba which are also suitable for friable surfaces.

just been thinking. if i put a neat coat of PVA onto the surfaces a day or so before the job so that it forms like a sort of skin over the paint could that seal the white wash in to make it suitable for plastering.

Mate what would happem if you tried to paint a flacky wall with a roller???? all the old flacky paint would come off and mess up ur painting.same with plastering over such surfaces.
So youd have to remove as much as you possibly can flacky paint or in ur case the distemper /white wash sandpaper walls stabilise to contorl the friable surface then pva to control suction and seal then pva to bond finnish coat plaster " simples " !!!

skimmin2day said:
Like bruce says,its the only way,if u spray the wall with warm water it will come away a little quicker as does artex.Then use stabilising solution and pva and skim or bondit /wba which are also suitable for friable surfaces.

bond-it is for smooth surfaces mate like precast concrete an that sort of stuff mate ;)

Wba bondit and such like is also for friable surfaces mate.
i been doing this 20 years not twenty days.
Its perfect for flacky paints distemper and friable coverings gloss paint and other low suction areas also.It says so on the label too.
Stabilising solution is cheaper with better results.i suppose stabiliseer with wba would be bomb proof!!!

skimmin2day said:
Wba bondit and such like is also for friable surfaces mate.
i been doing this 20 years not twenty days.
Its perfect for flacky paints distemper and friable coverings gloss paint and other low suction areas also.It says so on the label too.
Stabilising solution is cheaper with better results.i suppose stabiliseer with wba would be bomb proof!!!

LETS JUST CHECK......

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...le_plaster_bonding_agents/thistlebond-it.aspx

NO MENTION ON THE LABEL MATE?

try wickes wba....

Apply this Plaster Bonding Agent by brush or roller for fast, easy preparation of surfaces for plastering.

Aggregate loaded polymer based coating
Prepares smooth limited suction or friable surface for plastering
Apply by brush or roller
Excellent bonding qualities for plaster and render

skimmin2day said:
try wickes wba....

Apply this Plaster Bonding Agent by brush or roller for fast, easy preparation of surfaces for plastering.

Apply by brush or roller

I aint argueing mate but, how does it stop the fact you are attaching somthing to an unsound substrate?

skimmin2day said:
try wickes wba....

Apply by brush or roller

LETS JUST CHECK THAT ONE....

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Plaster-Bonding-Agent/invt/221807

SPOT ON

haha sorry mate i wasnt being picky its just i was reading the tub the other day. ;)

Kirk i didnt no my self until a couple of months back when i rang my dad and asked if he had any stabiliser as i only needed a drop and was his side of town,he replied got any wba on van i said yes he said use that does same job so i did.

Nelly ...you still have to remove as much of the distemper as u can, create a key and stabilise the area.
Stabilising solution and bonding agent wba etc will help to stabilse the area so it wont flake,then you can paint or plaster over it.

been doing plastering for 5 years now qualified nvq level 3. never heard of all this stabiliser, wba and friable stuff :-\ anyone be able to let me know what it means. learn something new everyday.

Quinny08 said:
been doing plastering for 5 years now qualified nvq level 3. never heard of all this stabiliser, wba and friable stuff :-\ anyone be able to let me know what it means. learn something new everyday.

No problem matey here you go:

Stabiliser = On back of a kids bike.
WBA = West Bromich Albion
Friable stuff = Bacon, sausage, eggs etc.....
;D

lmfao good 1 tht m8. but seriously whats it all mean?
Nisus said:
Quinny08 said:

No problem matey here you go:

Stabiliser = On back of a kids bike.
WBA = West Bromich Albion
Friable stuff = Bacon, sausage, eggs etc.....
;D

Stabiliser = stabilising solution for limewash etc....
WBA = Wickes bonding agent (similar to thistle bond-it)
Friable = loose, powdery, crumbly surfaces that require stabilising with..... Yep you guessed it ;)

Stabilzers and primers use crystalisation to bond with the substrate underneath a purous painted surface pva dont ,it works in a different way called adesion it only allows the water content of pva to pass through the surface into the substrate i think .

use bond-it/gypbond/green stuff/wba -whatever you wanna call it. its made exactly for crap like this wall and or any surface that does not have a suitable key/suction/adhesion. you gotta get the loose off though as best you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.