Small court threat

Members online

No members online now.

Joz

I recently re-skimed a living room ceiling for a customer of mine, I've plastered all 4 upstairs ceilings 4 years ago and was well pleased.
The living room didn't have any heating at the time as she was also having a full kitchen refurb by another company .
After a week or so the ceiling developed a hair line crack, the heating was put back on after I left.
I went back to fill, sand and repaint..
She says the ceiling isn't seemless like the upstairs due to the filler.
She is now threatening me with small court over a hairline crack. ( she's been very difficult)
As you all know plaster is brittle, and any movement, drying out, vibrations can cause a hairline.
What do you think the court would say.

i think if she turns up in court in a short skirt and her tits half out, she will be awarded about £1,000 against you !

Normally tell customers that reskims are only as good as whats underneath so if its over old or unsturdy plaster there could be problems.

Its the customers risk then.

is the hairline crack running along a joist. you could argue that that joist is moving which unless she proves otherwise isbt down to you..

and a hairline crack once painted will dissapear anyway

Ye could just explain to her . Screw down crack if its on joist tape crack with paper tape as meant to be better @essexandy hope so or ceiling I did yesterday f**k*d in few days lol . An just Skim it again . Better to have some one say ceiling cracked and he sorted it then someone saying they took ye to court

is the hairline crack running along a joist. you could argue that that joist is moving which unless she proves otherwise isbt down to you..

and a hairline crack once painted will dissapear anyway

No it was where her husband took out a fake archway that split the two rooms up.

Ye could just explain to her . Screw down crack if its on joist tape crack with paper tape as meant to be better @essexandy hope so or ceiling I did yesterday f**k*d in few days lol . An just Skim it again . Better to have some one say ceiling cracked and he sorted it then someone saying they took ye to court

Don't really want to re-skim it again as the ceiling is 7m by 4. not only that she has fitted a new carpet, new furniture and decorated it out in farrow and ball paint.
Little splash on the paint and it's 90 a tin.
She will claim for everything.

I dont think its worth it for youto go to court mate 9 times out of 10 they will grant the customer the claim as youve signed or had a verbal agreement that the works you do will be of great service.
If i were you id give her the money back she paid you and take it on the chin or reskim it and drop sheets and cover up like crazy.
It takes a solicitor no time at all to bring an argumentitive case up like that and ruin your company ccj .
Personally id give her the money back she cant say nothing then just keep all messages for safe keeping.

I dont think its worth it for youto go to court mate 9 times out of 10 they will grant the customer the claim as youve signed or had a verbal agreement that the works you do will be of great service.
If i were you id give her the money back she paid you and take it on the chin or reskim it and drop sheets and cover up like crazy.
It takes a solicitor no time at all to bring an argumentitive case up like that and ruin your company ccj .
Personally id give her the money back she cant say nothing then just keep all messages for safe keeping.

id honestly tell her and her husband to go fuuck themselves then block the silly cuunts number.
if theve done work after hes plastered...hairline cracks are down to them for banging away at the house.

id honestly tell her and her husband to go fuuck themselves then block the silly cuunts number.
if theve done work after hes plastered...hairline cracks are down to them for banging away at the house.
I no what youre saying mate but a solicitor will be a night mare for that ... only speaking from experience with one as i had a similar doo .. same thing hairline appeared after i skimmed over an artex ceiling i had scrimmed it and screwed still appeared .. you should have heard the things she was saying she could do and how shed go about it on the phone not through messages. Just not worth it in my eyes and now she has decorated it it will be even worse for amo.

You can always get free advice at citizens advice bureau. You should also consider having heads of terms for these sort of occasions

I no what youre saying mate but a solicitor will be a night mare for that ... only speaking from experience with one as i had a similar doo .. same thing hairline appeared after i skimmed over an artex ceiling i had scrimmed it and screwed still appeared .. you should have heard the things she was saying she could do and how shed go about it on the phone not through messages. Just not worth it in my eyes and now she has decorated it it will be even worse for amo.

then id stoke the fire by messaging her....
"please stop harrasing me because i declined your sexual advances.
i will soon be calling your husband and the police if this carries on.
im happily married and my wife would not be best pleased with your actions. please im not interested."

watch her shiit her knickers lol !!

then id stoke the fire by messaging her....
"please stop harrasing me because i declined your sexual advances.
i will soon be calling your husband and the police if this carries on.
im happily married and my wife would not be best pleased with your actions. please im not interested."

watch her shiit her knickers lol !!
That' quality

We had a few on here do a few weeks in prison cos of similar things like this have happened, all the best mate

Pagey
HMP BELMARSH

I had one last week, ,,crack on ceiling in a bungalow extension. When I was doing it I said to customer their is no dwang or joist along this crack when trying to screw it up. Can I get up above it to stick a timber support in. No he says access to that is through that cupboard that is shelved etc.. Paper taped it, skimmed, split after 5 days.
Said to customer look I need up their, , he emptied cupboard took ages.
Went up and problem was it was a split board that was put up at installation. Snapped. When I put dwang, hell it it lifted a good bit. Sometimes if you don't get up above to look if you can its a minefield us guys encounter.

what a nightmare, personally I'd just avoid any stress and refund her money.. just go to bank the day before and get the full amount in pennies. lol

No it was where her husband took out a fake archway that split the two rooms up.
What was there after they took the wall down did the customer tack it or you? or just flappy board and you thought f**k it I’ll scrim it and skim?

Offer a partial refund but put it in email and say that the refund constitutes the conclusion of your business and no further action can be taken. If she agrees case closed and you have it in writing

Fiba fuse is stronger than paper tape and thinner, ,cannot be used with skim plasters only taping fillers. Better if a skimmed surface cracks,,, get it at belmore tools.

I had one last week, ,,crack on ceiling in a bungalow extension. When I was doing it I said to customer their is no dwang or joist along this crack when trying to screw it up. Can I get up above it to stick a timber support in. No he says access to that is through that cupboard that is shelved etc.. Paper taped it, skimmed, split after 5 days.
Said to customer look I need up their, , he emptied cupboard took ages.
Went up and problem was it was a split board that was put up at installation. Snapped. When I put dwang, hell it it lifted a good bit. Sometimes if you don't get up above to look if you can its a minefield us guys encounter.
Its frustrating at the best of times isnt it.. unfortunately she had real wood floors above the living room .. i mentioned to reboard but she didnt want to pay for it so told her i cant guarantee the crack coming back through but soon turned on me.. there was a joist there but she was definately bouncing in her bedroom doing something i no she mentioned a gym in one room my guess maybe that. She had an answer for everything and would have went the mile to get back at me so i took it on the chin give her her money back.

I recently re-skimed a living room ceiling for a customer of mine, I've plastered all 4 upstairs ceilings 4 years ago and was well pleased.
The living room didn't have any heating at the time as she was also having a full kitchen refurb by another company .
After a week or so the ceiling developed a hair line crack, the heating was put back on after I left.
I went back to fill, sand and repaint..
She says the ceiling isn't seemless like the upstairs due to the filler.
She is now threatening me with small court over a hairline crack. ( she's been very difficult)
As you all know plaster is brittle, and any movement, drying out, vibrations can cause a hairline.
What do you think the court would say.

how much money are we talking about here. ??

Its frustrating at the best of times isnt it.. unfortunately she had real wood floors above the living room .. i mentioned to reboard but she didnt want to pay for it so told her i cant guarantee the crack coming back through but soon turned on me.. there was a joist there but she was definately bouncing in her bedroom doing something i no she mentioned a gym in one room my guess maybe that. She had an answer for everything and would have went the mile to get back at me so i took it on the chin give her her money back.

id know if what i plastered was right or wrong.
i wouldnt give a penny back

i remember doing a "rush" job years ago in the centre of london.
dropped the job i had on for this photographer doing a shoot in a few days.
i told him on the phone before i started about 4 times "MAKE SURE YOUR STUDIO FLOORS ARE 100% COVERED"
not a f**k**g thing there when i turned up.
fuuck him and his floors i had me and 2 men too pay on top of holding back another job.
he looked like he was about to have a stroke when i told him its his own stupid fault.
got paid in full.
ive give up trying to please eveyone all the time it seems impossible.
i was told he was up all night with a cleaning firm trying to get the wooden floors brown again.

I can take a week maybe a month or 3 max but after that unless it’s all on the floor you gotta draw the line,everyone has had it but what turns into a hair line crack turns into oh this wall now ect out of grace fill it and be done with it

I did a ceiling once had to do it in three. (2mtr sq ish lol) pulled wrong bit of tape of . Can he he'l get rid of crack but he sound bout it . Two kinds of customers . I did offer to sort it for record

What a dick. I hate people like that! If I genuinely damaged something etc I'd be fair and pay but I'd never bow down to someone being a tight arse! We've threatened court on two occasions because they were dicking about with payment

It’s a hairline crack , not your fault if timber moves or the house moves , 6 “ of concrete cracks let alone 2/3 mm plaster! , like reinforcement in concrete , scrim is only there to stop plaster falling out once it does crack. A
change in temperature can cause it . She has been happy with your previous work! I’d call her bluff and let her take me to court