Something to think about

IMG_20190529_092056_992.jpg

If all plasterers thought about this then the prices would rise nicely..

Exactly. I was reading someone on here recently a time served spread can undercut newer ones because they can skim a room in a day.

So basically the better and faster they get. The less they charge.

The mind boggles

It's been happening since time began!

Classic example is in the last recession house bashing rates were hidious lots of people dropped out the game.

Ironically the better spreads could still make it pay and just worked harder and longer to make the same money!

Never going to change never will, plastering is a paperless trade that attracts lads that left school with nothing and no formal qualifications.

Last year's labourers can be next year's skimmers in 12 months and are greatfull of the chance and the new tradesman tag.

If you came and spent a week up here and I drove you over to see some of the quality lads I know and saw what they were doing for the money each day you would be disgusted!

If you’re willing to work for peanuts then trust me someone will gladly pay you peanuts!

The problem is the large house builders etc set the rates not the man on the street.

The whole work for peanuts arguments just doesn't work people will want to work within x mile of there homes and family etc.

Yes 7/10 may not take the rate but some always always will and will do whatever needed to make the rates pay.

I actually think that some of the rates are borderline illegal for how you need to work but then such as @algeeman comes along and smashes it out and earns well and rucks that argument out for everyone else.

Does it make him wrong absoloutley not, what is wrong that it becomes that only elite spreads can make it pay whilst everyone else struggles.

Rates haven't gone up since 1990s in our area it's criminal.

I/we get called mugs by others on here who work in better regions but what can you do?

Domestics just follow suit to the said areas rates and so on, modern renders were good earners now becoming saturated with skimmers.

Where's my rope!!!!

The problem is the large house builders etc set the rates not the man on the street.

The whole work for peanuts arguments just doesn't work people will want to work within x mile of there homes and family etc.

Yes 7/10 may not take the rate but some always always will and will do whatever needed to make the rates pay.

I actually think that some of the rates are borderline illegal for how you need to work but then such as @algeeman comes along and smashes it out and earns well and rucks that argument out for everyone else.

Does it make him wrong absoloutley not, what is wrong that it becomes that only elite spreads can make it pay whilst everyone else struggles.

I/we get called mugs by others on here who work in better regions but what can you do?

Domestics just follow suit to the said areas rates and so on, modern renders were good earners now becoming saturated with skimmers.

Where's my rope!!!!
On its way lol

Where's my rope!!!!
Dont do it. Just heard pot noodles fetching a new flavour out

@zombie I do get where you’re coming from.

Most spreads aren’t the brightest. So when s**t hit ths fan they know nothing else so will take what they’re given.

Theres cheap spreads everywhere. Not just your way. Theres lads skimming living rooms for 300 here too. Doesn’t stop me getting what i do tho

Thats why you need to offer something more than the competition,a lot of domestic dont know a good job from bad but if you leave messy windows skirtings etc they can go ballistic.
build up recommends and charge high,its sometimes hard to look em in the eye and ask for a relatively high wage but if you dont ask you 100% will not get it.

Where's my rope!!!!
You do what I do pack up leave everything behind and emigrate to Devon were the money and life is 100% better I feel like I'm on holiday everyday it's taken a few years to get established again! I wouldn't go back up north for all the money in the world full of robbing f**k**s, Muslims and dickheads! :LOL:

Where's my rope!!!!
That wasn’t aimed at you personally mate! I just will never understand why people are prepared to work for f**k all Plastering for say £10ph when there are far better alternatives out there for an easier life.

Exactly. I was reading someone on here recently a time served spread can undercut newer ones because they can skim a room in a day.

So basically the better and faster they get. The less they charge.

The mind boggles
That was me.... Ashamed lol. It's a difficult one though because the spread earns more money per day but the customers paying less for a better job. Could call it a win win, or could call me a mug. It's probably abit of both, or I'm a complete mug and can't see it ha

Big difference mate, He said “plasterers” not skimmers!
No difference if you’re pricing a skimming job though. I mentioned recently about the bedroom reskim I went to look at and a young multi turder went in with a low price that I couldn’t compete with. On site if it’s just skimming it doesn’t matter how many years you’ve been doing it. Skimming is skimming regardless of time served. And I’ve seen young lads skim to way better standard than old school spreads.

No difference if you’re pricing a skimming job though. I mentioned recently about the bedroom reskim I went to look at and a young multi turder went in with a low price that I couldn’t compete with. On site if it’s just skimming it doesn’t matter how many years you’ve been doing it. Skimming is skimming regardless of time served. And I’ve seen young lads skim to way better standard than old school spreads.
Oh yes there is! It’s not on p/board for a start and a site skimmer wouldn’t have a clue how to get over most problems that arise on a lot of domestic jobs. Once again BIG BIG difference between a true spread who has a wealth of knowledge and an average site skimmer!

Thats why you need to offer something more than the competition,a lot of domestic dont know a good job from bad but if you leave messy windows skirtings etc they can go ballistic.
build up recommends and charge high,its sometimes hard to look em in the eye and ask for a relatively high wage but if you dont ask you 100% will not get it.
Big price = text message

If I wasn’t earning a decent living for the graft I’d go and do or learn something else.
There’s no job for life anymore, why should a job define who you are, if it’s not paying the bills do something else for a living.

I think that most plasterers way overestimate the skill needed to do our job. It really isn't rocket science.
Also as someone said earlier; if a customer wants their lounge skimming they really don't care that you can float and set, render and floor screed. It's just not relevant to them.
On the subject of site prices and guys like @algeeman making the prices pay, well he wouldn't make them pay if he was doing the job as it's supposed to be done. He knows me well enough now to know that's not a personal attack on him, he's just the easiest example to give.
Guys sticking the boards on don't use the correct amount of adhesive, Chris one coats it all and the people at the top don't give a f**k because they're making more money. Those wanting to, or trying to, do the work to the correct spec and methods are f**k*d.
In short the trade started low and has just gone down the drain. I'm bloody glad that I'm towards the end of my time doing it and not starting out.

I think that most plasterers way overestimate the skill needed to do our job. It really isn't rocket science.
Also as someone said earlier; if a customer wants their lounge skimming they really don't care that you can float and set, render and floor screed. It's just not relevant to them.
On the subject of site prices and guys like @algeeman making the prices pay, well he wouldn't make them pay if he was doing the job as it's supposed to be done. He knows me well enough now to know that's not a personal attack on him, he's just the easiest example to give.
Guys sticking the boards on don't use the correct amount of adhesive, Chris one coats it all and the people at the top don't give a f**k because they're making more money. Those wanting to, or trying to, do the work to the correct spec and methods are f**k*d.
In short the trade started low and has just gone down the drain. I'm bloody glad that I'm towards the end of my time doing it and not starting out.

From moving south to north on decent rates too shiit rates....
I gave up with the trade mate.
Just pays the bills now.
Gives kids what the want
Keeps me in Stella (y)

Agree completely. 90% of jobs now are skimming, having years of experience in something else just isn't relevant when pricing a skimming job, and skimming really isn't to difficult

Oh yes there is! It’s not on p/board for a start and a site skimmer wouldn’t have a clue how to get over most problems that arise on a lot of domestic jobs. Once again BIG BIG difference between a true spread who has a wealth of knowledge and an average site skimmer!

Definitely mate. People take the piss out of domestic spreads but the truth is it’s far more complex than skimming board. Anything from floating block. Covering artex properly. Levelling out walls and ceilings in 2 to 1 rooms etc. Not saying it’s hard but i know for a fact many spreads can only skim

Definitely mate. People take the piss out of domestic spreads but the truth is it’s far more complex than skimming board. Anything from floating block. Covering artex properly. Levelling out walls and ceilings in 2 to 1 rooms etc. Not saying it’s hard but i know for a fact many spreads can only skim
In my eyes they are not a proper spread then mate! I’ll tell you a story, I met a fella once on holiday and for some strange reason we got chatting about Plastering lol. I could see him squirming at me when I was going on about all the different aspects of the trade and how it has all changed over the years, turns out that he works on site skimming plots and trust me he was amazed at all the Plastering knowledge I have. So much so he classed himself as only a “skimmer” and he knew his place in the Plastering trade. To say he was looking at me like I was a god was an understatement mate!

Last edited:
In my eyes they are not a proper spread then mate! I’ll tell you a story, I met a fella once on holiday and for some strange reason we got chatting about Plastering lol. I could see him squirming at me when I was going on about all the different aspects of the trade and how it has all changed over the years, turns out that he works on site skimming plots and trust me he was amazed at all the Plastering knowledge I have. So much so he classed himself as only a “skimmer” and he knew his place in the Plastering trade. To say he was looking at me like I was a god was an understatement mate!

Wasn’t alf was it? Lol

Where's my rope!!!!
They used to be called 10%men when I first started on site, nowadays there more like 50% grredy c**ts. But to be fair the contractor who had my area wrapped up was a fair guy and only made about £1 metre off the rates he give us for skimming and about £5 metre on the rendering,and when u look at the lay out and stress that comes with that it’s not a lot really,but still retired a millionaire

They used to be called 10%men when I first started on site, nowadays there more like 50% grredy c**ts. But to be fair the contractor who had my area wrapped up was a fair guy and only made about £1 metre off the rates he give us for skimming and about £5 metre on the rendering,and when u look at the lay out and stress that comes with that it’s not a lot really,but still retired a millionaire

@zombie how far is Chesterfield from you? Not plastering now but I always got great rates in chesterfield as doesn't seem to be any plasters there....its 13 miles from me but was always getting people through google from chesterfield was even charging builders £200 per day