Sponge grain coming through

Members online

Ky12

So I've been experimenting with a few guages lately using the sponge method.
Lay on, flatten by laying in second coat. Flatten second coat. Wet wall, sponge up....then flatten, close, polish.

However, I'm fighting against scratchy sponge grain showing in some areas on my final flattening. Any ideas why or what the fix is?

Should I be sponging when the walls really quite soft then? Possibly where I've been going wrong

I thought I might have been pressing too hard with sponge or using a s**t rough sponge float

So do you flatten pretty much straight after you've sponged then mate? No waiting for it to pick up?

This always intrigues me the sponge floating, I actually got the sprayer and sponge out of the van today but didn’t use it. Exhausted at the end of today used five bags on pure shite picking up reveals, a cupboard a bathroom and two small walls, five bags!! Of pure crap and wet angles everywhere. Time consuming b*ll***s.

So I've been experimenting with a few guages ...
However, I'm fighting against scratchy sponge grain showing in some areas on my final flattening. Any ideas why or what the fix is?

Sounds like you're either
1) Leaving it too late and then sponging too hard.
2) Sponging at the right time but then leaving it too long before going back over it.

When I sponge (i.e. I can find it) I use the sponge damp (orange refina sponge float) and draw it lightly at about 30 degrees to wall. Use it when plaster is still pretty wet then run over it with Nela. Should come up super smooth immediately. As @theshed says, don't try doing a huge wall in one shot.

I've used the sponge to rescue walls that have gone too far as well. Sponge in one hand, trowel in the other and then karate-kid stylee...sponge on, trowel off. Leaves a salt&pepper look, but still super smooth and once painted you can't tell that I fudged up and bit off more than I could chew.

So do you flatten pretty much straight after you've sponged then mate? No waiting for it to pick up?
Sponge and cream off as soon as u finish sponging, if the stuff isn't pulling in too quick u can sponge all ur walls, or at least two at a time. (we generally do opposites and split 2 rooms at a time)

Reactions: Djr
So I've been experimenting with a few guages lately using the sponge method.
Lay on, flatten by laying in second coat. Flatten second coat. Wet wall, sponge up....then flatten, close, polish.

Sounds like you need to pull your finger out of your arse then..