Straw bale eco build

Members online

pftmonojetman

Private Member
IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG
Another job were on at the moment 3 coat work on straw bale. It's like rendering a f**k**g hedgerow

Would love to learn this!! How did you get in to it? I haven't done much with lime to be honest and trying to find a place to refresh and pick it all back up again!

Also if you wouldn't mind and gave me notice I'd come and help out for few days even a week just for the crack.

I see this is a pretty old thread, but we have a straw house that is lime plastered in and out and after 15 years I am ready to do something on the inside to finish/seal the plaster. It has 3 coats of lime, but no smooth finish coat so if you run your hand across it, little bits of sand fall off. I'm tired of it. Any suggestions on how to finish it so it's a bit smoother and possibly cleanable? Some kind of whitewash? Breathability is essential, so no regular paint and I am in rural California so professional plasterers are not really an option.

I see this is a pretty old thread, but we have a straw house that is lime plastered in and out and after 15 years I am ready to do something on the inside to finish/seal the plaster. It has 3 coats of lime, but no smooth finish coat so if you run your hand across it, little bits of sand fall off. I'm tired of it. Any suggestions on how to finish it so it's a bit smoother and possibly cleanable? Some kind of whitewash? Breathability is essential, so no regular paint and I am in rural California so professional plasterers are not really an option.
Clay paint might be an option

I'll give it a try. The ocean is only about 45 minutes away.
Well done , you are lucky. Find lump hot lime preferably , powdered will do as well,
measure 1 part lime:2parts water and slake the lime. Adjust the mix to double or single cream consistency. If you reheat the water the effect is even better. If done right, when you run your hand over it you won't have any lime dust on it.Aply while the mix is still hot. Do batches you can handle while hot or warm.
Simple things are always best!

Last edited: