tape measure

what's everyone been using? have been using the Stanley fatmax for a while but last ones just been nicked off a job. Any recommendations or shall I just stick to them. cheers

A659FCAC-C2D1-4C70-ADA0-20B509352AA2.png

I’m obsessive over my tape measure, it’s sad as f**k but I can’t help it. I’m desperate for a new 1 but too attached to my Stanley, them gold limited edition ones were good a few years ago wish I’d bought a few

Is there a tape measure where the hook on the end doesn't move and can give accurate measurements as opposed to having to guess how much it's moved by when measuring?

Is there a tape measure where the hook on the end doesn't move and can give accurate measurements as opposed to having to guess how much it's moved by when measuring?
Just measure with the play fully extended and do the same when marking off. Day 1 week 1

Just measure with the play fully extended and do the same when marking off. Day 1 week 1
You can't always do that though if going up to a wall then cutting with hook over a board. The play is good if remains accurate but I find it moves slightly over time and throws the measurement out a bit. Just wondered if there was a rigid version that keeps it super accurate, just tested my current Stanley power lock and it's 1mm out when extending to closed. Hey maybe they shouldn't be that accurate, maybe I need to change my tape more often. f**k me Carl you look like benny hill.

Saturday night, glass of wine, watching an old man do tricks with a tape measure

You're damn fookin right

You can't always do that though if going up to a wall then cutting with hook over a board. The play is good if remains accurate but I find it moves slightly over time and throws the measurement out a bit. Just wondered if there was a rigid version that keeps it super accurate, just tested my current Stanley power lock and it's 1mm out when extending to closed. Hey maybe they shouldn't be that accurate, maybe I need to change my tape more often. f**k me Carl you look like benny hill.
It's almost as if there is a conspiracy going on. I can't for the life of me work that one out.
Anyone who gets to the bottom of this wins a sky hook.

scary how many people didn't know that
Inch, eighths, blimey you must be getting on a bit.

Admittedly I use imperial, what ever is easiest. Surprisingly a lot of younger builders don't know how to use it. Even though they have been using a measure with imperial and metric on it for over 10 years.

When I first started I was asked what the next size was for board, I shouted down 36 & 11 8ths! :loco::rayos:
I worked with a guy on a stately home that was in his late 60s and still using an old feet and inches tape. I've looked in depth today coz im a sad twatt at gradual movement of tape hooks and how they throw measurements out and come to the conclusion that it's best to change tapes fairly frequently. As they do shift and you can't tell because of the play. Ok for boarding but im sure most of us on here in spare time cutting up bits of wood for doors, shelves or picture frames etc where the odd mm makes a difference.

I worked with a guy on a stately home that was in his late 60s and still using an old feet and inches tape. I've looked in depth today coz im a sad twatt at gradual movement of tape hooks and how they throw measurements out and come to the conclusion that it's best to change tapes fairly frequently. As they do shift and you can't tell because of the play. Ok for boarding but im sure most of us on here in spare time cutting up bits of wood for doors, shelves or picture frames etc where the odd mm makes a difference.

My missus says a couple of inches would make a big difference!:crying::nocausagracia:

My first boss must of had micro penis syndrome. Walked in on him pissing once, a 6mth old baby would be embarrassed by it. I looked at his wife with pity after that, he managed to knock out a couple of kids.
Comes in her shoes and lets the flies do the rest.