Timber Prices

Members online

No members online now.
I have a good rapport with Travis and my local timber merchants who are called Covers...

When I had worked out the cutting list of the timber for my tortoise table I decided to head to travis and covers to get a price. They could not get anywhere near the prices of B&Q or Wickes... not even close.

Even with every discount under the sun they were soooo way out... What is the point of them being timber merchants if they are not even competitive with the high street DIY shops?

Found a few things in B&Q that were cheaper than in screwfix and its the same branded stuff. I am beginning to think that the likes of screwfix have been giving the impression they are cheap for that long that they are now slowly increasing their prices hoping people wont notice.

The thing is Danny you think that you have a relationship with Travis but in truth they couldn't give a flying fig whether or not you buy your timber from them.
If I go into the Jewsons where I use my account and ask for such and such piece of timber I will be walking out with it at a cheaper price than I could get it from B&Q.
I do it often enough.

B&Q timber is utter sh1te, warped, bent, and unless you specifically ask for it (when the price doubles IF they've got it) it's not C16 or C24. All of their timber is kiln dried, so when it gets damp it warps like fcuk, then when it air dries it warps again.

You get what you pay for.

The thing is Danny you think that you have a relationship with Travis but in truth they couldn't give a flying fig whether or not you buy your timber from them.
If I go into the Jewsons where I use my account and ask for such and such piece of timber I will be walking out with it at a cheaper price than I could get it from B&Q.
I do it often enough.

I have an account with travis and use them a lot more than you probably think, I know one of the guys there very well as he drinks in my local and so I am pretty sure that the prices I was given at the time were the best they could do...

I got the MDF from b&Q as I did not want an 8x4 sheet

The timber I got from wickes was grade c16 if I remember right and I went through and picked the straight bits... fallen foul of that before.

What I don't get is if wickes belong to travis why such a difference?

Having said that altrincham tp have let me have limelite £18 a bag before now for no reason, just offered. And the yard lads a lovely.

What I don't get is if wickes belong to travis why such a difference?

Having said that altrincham tp have let me have limelite £18 a bag before now for no reason, just offered. And the yard lads a lovely.

I shop about a fair bit... We were getting huge timber deliveries every day when I did my loft conversion and the prices between travis and jewson was huge... I would not be buying it from the high street DIY shops for that kind of loads but for the amount I needed for the table I saved a lot of money to not get it from a timber merchant...