Tips and tricks for multi finish drying time

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddiem1560

Dose anyone know anything about adding baking soda or bicarbonate soda to extend the drying time for multi finish?

creme of tartar is ya best bet. also......Hello and welcome to the forum...................:huh:

we have been through this many times, you are talking about creame of tarter, it will kill the strength of the finished plaster.

why do you want to slow the setting time?
welcome by the way.

you can purchase creame of tarter from a chemist shop. you just need to put a pinch into the water before you mix up.

but why do you want to slow the setting time down. we are trying to speed the setting time up to get home before its dark. if you are not carefull you will be at work all night!

you can purchase creame of tarter from a chemist shop. you just need to put a pinch into the water before you mix up.

but why do you want to slow the setting time down. we are trying to speed the setting time up to get home before its dark. if you are not carefull you will be at work all night!

Asda Sell it in the baking section..........its only a quid a tub. We just fill the lid up foe each bag you mix and it hangs a canny bit.......ideal for a massive hit

we tried cream of tartar a few months back and didnt notice much difference. put around a teaspoon in

How much do you use Andy I've seen it in morrisons in the baking section......errr is that right?

i dont know if it was the cold but today i dabbed and skimmed a porch. weren't alot, a bag did both coats. but by the time i'd 1st coated, it was ready for a flatten. 2nd coated straight after, cleaned kit off, ready for a trowel straight away etc. i thought the cold was meant to make multi hang?!

I had some like that last week. 1 bag set quick the next seemed to hang for ages, same background, same property.

On new plasterboard ceilings

I normally use board finish, I only had multi as it was supplied.

Why do you want to slow down the drying process. Quick drying is very good to increase the life of plaster. And addition of chemicals decrease the plaster quality.

Why do you want to slow down the drying process. Quick drying is very good to increase the life of plaster. And addition of chemicals decrease the plaster quality.

Nobody said about the drying process.

Just slowing the set down to enable larger areas to be completed in one set, when needs must.

Drying and setting times are 2 different things.

BG alter the working time of plaster all the time: they change the amount of retarder in their plaster according to the time of year. In Spring/Summer they increase the amount and in Autumn/Winter they reduce the amount. It might not be a good idea to slow the working time of batches that were designed for Summer because there is already a good amount of retarder in the plaster. It is better practice to change habits and work with smaller hits than play around with working times.

Last edited:
BG alter the working time of plaster all the time: they change the amount of retarder in their plaster according to the time of year. In Spring/Summer they increase the amount and in Autumn/Winter they reduce the amount. It might not be a good idea to slow the working time of batches that were designed for Summer because there is already a good amount of retarder in the plaster. It is better practice to change habits and work with smaller hits than play around with working times.

I think that's all me arse! How and why would they fook about with different mixes of retarder to suit a f***ed up climate like ours.

I think that's all me arse! How and why would they fook about with different mixes of retarder to suit a f***ed up climate like ours.

It's a fact. Phone BG if you are in doubt.

Have you worked with casting plaster? The working time is only 20 minutes. It still contains Gypsum but it is mined from a source that is pure white. They have to add a retarder to multi finish to delay its setting time.

Last edited:
Hello everyone I just had a customer on the phone asking me does it matter if they mist coat with silk emulsion as it doesn't seem to be holding onto the plaster, I said as far as I'm aware it's normally mist coated with a matt an water am I right?. I nearly pooed myself at first thought they was gonna say the plaster had fallen off the walls an ceiling lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.