Tips for artex skimming

Members online

Kasper

Hi, just wondering if you got any tips for skimming over artex? I had a job few weeks back and it was artex overskim and I normally scrape high spots pva and 2 coats of multi finish but apparently few bits of artex came through so I'm open to ideas of how to improve it. Cheers

Hi, just wondering if you got any tips for skimming over artex? I had a job few weeks back and it was artex overskim and I normally scrape high spots pva and 2 coats of multi finish but apparently few bits of artex came through so I'm open to ideas of how to improve it. Cheers
Put it on thicker .

I either just overboard or pva and pack pattern out with bonding .

But most of times i jyst price me sen out of it as its for tramps lol.

@lurpak xx

Apparently? Lol

I prefer to overboard if there isn't any coving up and the customer isnt being a tight b*****d, but if I can't i definitely use the magic mix to cover the artex I find mixing finish in with the bonding makes it set quicker aswell

Well I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow.
No I mean surely you knew when you were doing it if you hadn't covered the artex or not? Quoting everyone to overboard and skim is the way forward, you might lose half the jobs on price but the other half you make double the money and not risk the artex coming away

No I mean surely you knew when you were doing it if you hadn't covered the artex or not? Quoting everyone to overboard and skim is the way forward, you might lose half the jobs on price but the other half you make double the money and not risk the artex coming away

I did risk it with heavy artex this is how I put it but I couldn't see it coming through. It was a big one so maybe because of that I missed it, from what they said it was a bit in a corner less than a half meter square...

I prefer to overboard if there isn't any coving up and the customer isnt being a tight b*****d, but if I can't i definitely use the magic mix to cover the artex I find mixing finish in with the bonding makes it set quicker aswell
What ratio you using for bonding and skim if you don't mind asking.

Knock up 3 bags of bonding n get 8 stella in n throw it on b skim it all next day

Depends on mood and how much there is ie house full or just 1 ceiling.

it’s not rocket science but I’ve seen it done wrong alot. Misconception is just put it on thick. I’ve seen 6/8mm thick skim show the artex pattern still. Got to cover it n let it go in

Zombie mixed first layer then multi over.Polish off.
Trick is to seal day before as artex can go soft causing problems when you skim.
Plastering normally looks great with constant colour when wet, but you can see artex pattern with white bits here and there when dry. This is normal with some artex that's skimmed. I always run cheap giraffe sander if needed over and prime so surface looks good. Saves the callbacks on domestics with paint pealing cuz lashed on or questions over the pattern showing through. Been doing this for 20 odd years with no problems. Just the way I rock. Artex skimming can be a nightmare if you don't get it right.

Zombie mixed first layer then multi over.Polish off.
Trick is to seal day before as artex can go soft causing problems when you skim.
Plastering normally looks great with constant colour when wet, but you can see artex pattern with white bits here and there when dry. This is normal with some artex that's skimmed. I always run cheap giraffe sander if needed over and prime so surface looks good. Saves the callbacks on domestics with paint pealing cuz lashed on or questions over the pattern showing through. Been doing this for 20 odd years with no problems. Just the way I rock. Artex skimming can be a nightmare if you don't get it right.

I did the whole house and every ceiling looks good it's just that one, it was fair size and I think that could be an issue, like trying to rush it. I'm worried that bonding might set it off even quicker though

Artex overskim is a skill in it’s own right , imo zombie mix is absolutely pointless but that’s just me , I’d never scrape any either there’s no need and a waste of precious time , all the bits go everywhere and your in a mess before even started, pva is crap and gyprime is your friend , slightly delaying the second coat does help but having said that the key is a good firm first coat , the rest just comes with time ,
Failing that if it’s just not working out just price to overboard and let the skim kings crack on

What ratio you using for bonding and skim if you don't mind asking.
It all depends on the thickness off the artex mate, I adjust accordingly to the thickness of it I stopped over skimming the ceilings when one day the skim had managed to penetrate the artex I got called back and there was a blister on the ceiling I scraped it off and pretty much half the ceiling had to be scraped off,

Artex overskim is a skill in it’s own right , imo zombie mix is absolutely pointless but that’s just me , I’d never scrape any either there’s no need and a waste of precious time , all the bits go everywhere and your in a mess before even started, pva is crap and gyprime is your friend , slightly delaying the second coat does help but having said that the key is a good firm first coat , the rest just comes with time ,
Failing that if it’s just not working out just price to overboard and let the skim kings crack on
I dont get on with zombie mix. Thick fist coat . Few flattners and let it pull right in before second coat

I dont get on with zombie mix. Thick fist coat . Few flattners and let it pull right in before second coat
Take it you scrape it back? As a thick coat of multi does f**k all on alot of artex

Scrape, pva, first coat zombie mix, multi second. Flatten with speed skim. Vac up bits ect. Trowel up to finish.
Easy peasy. Ive never had a problem with going over artex. I actually like it as the ceiling looks so much better flat and modern.