trade account or cash??????

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmplastering

hi guys hope all is well for us plasterers...was just wonder as im starting to pick work up now im buying alot of materials from wickes. I always use wickes, but just need to know if its worth getting an account with them or should i just keep buying by cash? which would i be better of with???

cheers and would appreciate your advice.... :eek: ;D

Wickes isn't that cheap anymore. Try setting up a cash account with some of the other suppliers. I hear magnets are dirt cheap, will be checking it out this week

i've got an account with magnets (who i use for plaster, beads and boards) and cash accounts with other merchants, spoilt for choice here though.

not a massive ammount, you're talking a few pence cheaper per bag or board, it's just they're fairly close to me.

Only half a mile out of my way myself. Got 3 diy places, and about 7 building suppliers within 3 miles of me, so a bit spoilt. I think there's not much diference in the finish plasters, but there seems to be a diferance of around £2.00 a bag for undercoat plaster. Still gonna use the more expensive ones when pricing up though. Ever used B and Q's trade point?

funny? just tell them to shut the f***k up and sort the order out with an extra 10% ;D
make sure if you make a delivery check and check again your order as they are s**t.
made an order for 20 3x2timber for some stud-work and 40 6x3 50 8x4 pboard.
and i got 4 4x4 fence post and 20 6ft fence panels :eek: ::) :mad:
then when i got what i ordered 10 of the plasterboard was damaged..they said keep it for free and pick up some new :)

i dont like this trade point thing. the discount card was so much better where you actually got things cheaper! u can buy a bag of plaster at the normal till for the same price it is at trade point. at least before you used to get 5% back or whatever it was at the end of the month. plus for example; i went in the other day to get rubble bags and dust sheets. they have dust sheets in the book but not rubble bags so had to walk to the other end of the store to get them and just picked up the dust sheets at the same time as they were the same as the ones in the book... i dont get it!! why is trade point any better other than maybe less of a q at the till and a few extra products to choose from?

Rant over ???

pro finish said:
funny? just tell them to shut the f***k up and sort the order out with an extra 10% ;D
make sure if you make a delivery check and check again your order as they are s**t.
made an order for 20 3x2timber for some stud-work and 40 6x3 50 8x4 pboard.
and i got 4 4x4 fence post and 20 6ft fence panels :eek: ::) :mad:
then when i got what i ordered 10 of the plasterboard was damaged..they said keep it for free and pick up some new :)

try county mate, they are quite cheap and its hardly ever busy. they're on swan lane in the old dairy place.

its just for them to get trades in more custom££££
i went to a selco the other day there you can haggle over the price sometimes getting up to 30% off ..just a pitty its miles away :mad:
wicks really pisses me off you buy mats every day, but Joe blogs diy king pays the same price :-\
haven't been there Steve?
used to use spon end but hated the parking and the trek over to the holding bay

wheres selco, i know what you mean about builders supply. we were working about 100 yards away so walked when we could because if you go in the van you have to park a mile away, then the plasters round the corner, its a right mare. County is run by Darren who used to work at haley roe. if you come out of where haley roe was, turn right, then left at roundabout, its just on the left after the bend. did you know haley roe has gone bust?

bust! mate that place was£££ :eek: :eek: nipped in once to grab a pva 5L £16inc vat :-* went home to my shed.
will have to pop in there ;)
i was using selco when i was in Sutton its like a bigger wicks but great on prices..they have a few outlets think that's the nearest??

I tend use different suppliers for different products.
e.g Moisture Board (£6.64+vat) Bonding compound (£4.09+vat) from Huws Gray,yet they wanted £25 +vat for a box of collated screws so i got them from Travis for £11+vat(not offen that they are cheaper).
Metal stud,Gypliner and MF from Warren Insulation (Part of Sheffield Insulation Group).
Worth trying any Drylining supplier near you.
also tell each one what you're paying at the other,they usually try to beat the price or at least give you the cheapest price they can.

haley roe was alright if you haggled. haley and roe had an arguement, roe sold his shares to some t**t, who basically barged steve haley out. steve then started BB Fencing and Building Supplies on Kingfield road. Everyone was saying how the bloke bought haley roe to run it into the ground and then do something with the land. If it wasn't such an effort to type it all out, i'd tell you all the stories about him. funny as f**k.

using different suppliers may get you a few pennys off, but it is so much hassle bombing around in the morning..
more paperwork etc try get it all from one place.

Went to trade pointless today. What is it's actual purpose? Done a job over xmas, skim looked like someone had thrown a load of skittles in it

jmplastering said:
hi guys hope all is well for us plasterers...was just wonder as im starting to pick work up now im buying alot of materials from wickes. I always use wickes, but just need to know if its worth getting an account with them or should i just keep buying by cash? which would i be better of with???

It depends on what and how much you take on. when I first started I would pay cash all the time. as you take on more and bigger jobs the cash thing can be more hassel than it,s worth. I use my local builder merchant on a trade credit account, they can not beat the DIY stores on price but they do offer me a top line service and free delivery on all materials, which ie great if you need a load of boards delivered. So my answer to you question is if your happy using cash at the mo great, but if you want to be able to move on with less hassel gat an account. PS try to avoid the temptation to buy evey tool in the shop because you have credit ;)

jord218 said:
jmplastering said:

It depends on what and how much you take on. when I first started I would pay cash all the time. as you take on more and bigger jobs the cash thing can be more hassel than it,s worth. I use my local builder merchant on a trade credit account, they can not beat the DIY stores on price but they do offer me a top line service and free delivery on all materials, which ie great if you need a load of boards delivered. So my answer to you question is if your happy using cash at the mo great, but if you want to be able to move on with less hassel gat an account. PS try to avoid the temptation to buy evey tool in the shop because you have credit ;)
thanks for all your comments will not rush in but may get an account in the future, but will think about it first. cheers guys

Travis Perkins trade cash account. If you spend enough in there u get good prices on Plaster, boards, beads ect but anything like pva, sbr or admixes are better to buy at the big sheds!

Trade Point at B&Q lol, My local B&Q now have all the Builders white vans parking at the main entrance, it's chaos..! I understand to get a trade point card you have to be VAT Registered, not all builders are, the other day i had to get ten 8ft plasterboards on trolley to load up on van, store was fairly busy, trying to get them down to the main tills past eveyone was a nightmare ::)

It just isnt worth it struggling with that amount of plasterboards in a diy place when you can go to most merchants and get them loaded on your van for you by one of the lads and get them to give you as good a price as b&q.While you are loading them in your trolly,waiting at the checkout,loading in the van you are wasting time to get the job done,get paid and go home early.

For trade point you just need a business card and a letter head. They also except you if you've got an advert in yell or one of the others

Also if you've got a sign written van parked outside thats good enough ;)
That's what I did!

I never get boards from b&q though fcuk that.
Much easier reversing to the plasterboard shed at a builders yard & get em loaded on van as said above ;)

try to set up a cash account ,set it up with the chief in the office ,not a muppet at the counter ,if you are only using plaster stuff you should be able to get about 33% off only need to spend normally £100 a week

Had afunny one today the old man fetched 4 bags of multi from wickes for a job i was helping him with,as he was loading his car up a trolley came down the car park on its own,hit his car and dented his wing.150 pounds to repair the wing,that was dear for 4 bags of multi finsh ::)

Cannot understand for the life in me why tradesman use wicks and B & Q and such like for their materials (except in emergencies on a saturday afternoon and sunday)

Also cant understand why general public dont use building supplies companies as these have better products and better prices

me neither, pushing a trolley around a shed bugger that,my mrs does that around tesco not me.
just go to a large supplyer selco, jewsons etc go to manager and tell them your going to be buying a lot of gear off them in the future and negotiate a discount if your just starting out or only a one man band just bullshit them,margins are usually fairly tight but theres usually room to negotiate,just remember your running a business wether your a one man band or a big outfit any other business negotiates so why not you.

Status
Not open for further replies.