U got lab

Members online

lurpak

Artex Boy
Have used many labourers with no previous experience over the years but never had a good one. Ended up getting other spreads in for few days rather than pay a useless labourer.

Met a young lad on a job recently who was grafting away so got talking. I’ve had him in with me for 2 weeks now. He’s 21 and a proper grafter but has no experience plastering which is fine.. he is interested in learning tho.

Gonna give him a months work starting Monday as I can see potential, and see where it goes. As all the others didn’t get anywhere previously, whats a good way to bring him on a bit?

Serious thread.

First of all explain to him what your doing and why your doing it, I nearly had to push my old boss sometimes before he would give an answer and ended up getting swore at for talking so much, but I was like the robot 5 is a live input input it make life so much easier to be told

God I nearly asked you a job not so long back

Last edited:
You got to be up front from day 1 bud, the guy who took me on at 16 did really as a favour as my folks gave him a load of work when he started out and nobody wanted to take a chance on someone who wasn’t a big name in the area. I knew from the start why I was there, to learn. I didn’t earn great but he made no lie of it, if there was no work I understood that and that was that. If he did well on a job and I’d grafted I’d get a little bonus in my pay. I felt he wanted to invest time in me so I reciprocated in my work, if he’s good and you get on then happy days! If in a month you think he’s a t**t then u haven’t lost out

Have used many labourers with no previous experience over the years but never had a good one. Ended up getting other spreads in for few days rather than pay a useless labourer.

Met a young lad on a job recently who was grafting away so got talking. I’ve had him in with me for 2 weeks now. He’s 21 and a proper grafter but has no experience plastering which is fine.. he is interested in learning tho.

Gonna give him a months work starting Monday as I can see potential, and see where it goes. As all the others didn’t get anywhere previously, whats a good way to bring him on a bit?

Serious thread.
Pay him a decent wage. Money is always an incentive to put the effort in and learn.

Pay him shite money and he will think your a c**t. He will think the jobs shite. He wont put the effort in and when you get on to him he will lay you out and tell you where to shove your job.

He started with me to labour. Not learn to plaster. His first day was unloading pallets of gear into house.

It’s not like I’ve brought him on with false expectations. But as I’m impressed with his work ethic, rather than just use him for the donkey work I want to give him a go at actually doing a bit.

stupidest s**t i ever read.
Really Lurpy? But your the one who cant find people to work with you. Everybody else cant be bad/useless and just you who is perfect. Have you never wondered why the others couldn't be bothered?

He started with me to labour. Not learn to plaster. His first day was unloading pallets of gear into house.

It’s not like I’ve brought him on with false expectations. But as I’m impressed with his work ethic, rather than just use him for the donkey work I want to give him a go at actually doing a bit.
My x boss had me trowelling on the first day with him, I think I picked it up a little quicker ....he only let me do a little bit .....but I still had to do all the other work as well, unload and load van cleaning up

Any way Lurpy what do you object too? Paying a good wage or treating someone with respect and honesty?

Really Lurpy? But your the one who cant find people to work with you. Everybody else cant be bad/useless and just you who is perfect. Have you never wondered why the others couldn't be bothered?

Had no issues with spreads, had 2 off here actually. Plus few more on and off.

The labourers I speak of are mostly still the same now, jobless doll dossers.

The reality is most young lads are lazy shites now.

I was lucky as kid i have had been at college for 2 years . Though I asked him his method and then said right forget all that.
If i was to do it now I would pay em labourers rate but if they boarded a few ceilings etc and knocked time of job i.d give em extra at end to encourage em.
Then maybe get em on bottom of walls to let em aget feel for trowel (and save me bending) plus i think i could learn em quicker that way

Had no issues with spreads, had 2 off here actually. Plus few more on and off.

The labourers I speak of are mostly still the same now, jobless doll dossers.

The reality is most young lads are lazy shites now.
I cant argue with that but you basically asked how to bring a good bloke on. You objected to advice of paying him good money and treating him with respect as an incentive.

What the f*ck do you want a robot or slave?

Any way Lurpy what do you object too? Paying a good wage or treating someone with respect and honesty?

Paying a good wage. Apprentices are paid £50 a week and work for sparks and gas and they go on to earn £1000 a day. So it’s nothing to do with low payment.

Also it’s not like you suprise them on payday. They know what they’re getting paid before they start

Paying a good wage. Apprentices are paid £50 a week and work for sparks and gas and they go on to earn £1000 a day. So it’s nothing to do with low payment.

Also it’s not like you suprise them on payday. They know what they’re getting paid before they start
Totally besides the point.

You asked............how to bring a good bloke on.

But I repeat again..............Advice of paying him decent money and treating him well you objected to.

So put yourself in his boots..............what would encourage you to learn your job and make an effort?

I cant argue with that but you basically asked how to bring a good bloke on. You objected to advice of paying him good money and treating him with respect as an incentive.

What the f*ck do you want a robot or slave?

I disagree in that if you go in blind and pay a 0 experience kid decent money, you’ll never get anything out of him.

If they start on low money it shows willingness.

I’ve had unemployed lads tell me they wont work for x amount a day as not enough.

I can’t be arsed to debate with you every time i post mate it’s exhausting.

I want to know how to bring someone on as in just give em a trowel and throw in em deep end? Spend time explaining stuff? Etc etc.

So far I’ve explained everything I’m doing. Why i pva walls. Why i bond artex etc. Not sure he’s taking it in but im commentating anyway.

Totally besides the point.

You asked............how to bring a good bloke on.

But I repeat again..............Advice of paying him decent money and treating him well you objected to.

So put yourself in his boots..............what would encourage you to learn your job and make an effort?

Wtf is wrong with you? I objected to paying him loads of money at the start. Not treating him well. I’m very generous actually.

I can’t put myself in his shoes as i laboured for free every weekend while working full time to learn.

I must admit I really liked working with my x boss we use to have a right good laugh taking the piss out of each other but near the end he started taking piss working 8 till 7.30 nearly every night, now we don’t even talk which is a shame because he taught me a lot

If someone really wants to learn our trade then they should be willing to work for free at the beginning!

I have a lab working for free on weekends too to learn problem is I don’t want to work weekends.

To be clear tho this lad didn’t want to learn Plastering. He wanted to earn some money. It’s just turned out that I’m impressed with his worth ethic and spoke to him and he would like to learn

I disagree in that if you go in blind and pay a 0 experience kid decent money, you’ll never get anything out of him.

If they start on low money it shows willingness. Really says who? I wouldnt and neither would you. So shite money is now an incentive.........whoopee!

I’ve had unemployed lads tell me they wont work for x amount a day as not enough. Then leave those lads do not bother with them

I can’t be arsed to debate with you every time i post mate it’s exhausting. Then dont ask questions seriously if you do not like the answers which do not suit you.

I want to know how to bring someone on as in just give em a trowel and throw in em deep end? Spend time explaining stuff? Etc etc. ????????And reward them with shite money....Good man. You should patent that idea. What a corker.

So far I’ve explained everything I’m doing. Why i pva walls. Why i bond artex etc. Not sure he’s taking it in but im commentating anyway. Perhaps he just thinks your a prik and waiting for something else to turn up because the monies shite.

Get him proficient in prep and patching up so that he can get a feel for the tools then when you feel hes got used to that slowly get him troweling up for you on simple area's. After that get him laying on and finishing up areas on his own. Easy to say but it's all down to how he takes to it and how much of an asset he can be for you. If and when he starts to get it think about setting small financial goals as his skills get better.

Thats one of the sweetest things you have said to me Lurpy. I take that as a complement.

I have had various businesses over the years and know about management and 'bringing people on'.

You never talk down to people. You never treat your workforce like shite. And you pay them according to how they perform.

You bring people with you as a team if you want the best and want them to work with you.

You never treat them as outsiders because they will be just that...outsiders who will do the least they can get away with because there is no incentive to do otherwise.

I have worked on building but I am not a builder. Your employee ethic belongs in the stone age.

Sorry Lurpy. ;)

Get him proficient in prep and patching up so that he can get a feel for the tools then when you feel hes got used to that slowly get him troweling up for you on simple area's. After that get him laying on and finishing up areas on his own. Easy to say but it's all down to how he takes to it and how much of an asset he can be for you. If and when he starts to get it think about setting small financial goals as his skills get better.

Great advice, thanks. He had his first go on tools Friday. Just bonding in gaps that was missed. Mixed it up stiff and let him have a go. He got the hang of taking the gear off straight away.

I wouldn’t have anyone work for free but I’d like to have someone who I think would. I have worked for free. Brian would pay me for a couple of days and then I’d ask him to let me work until the jobs end anyway. He was doing me a favour letting me follow him round everywhere and pester him with questions when he didn’t need me.

I’ve paid people who have turned out to be a waste of space and while that’s the risk you take it’s still annoying!

Thats one of the sweetest things you have said to me Lurpy. I take that as a complement.

I have had various businesses over the years and know about management and 'bringing people on'.

You never talk down to people. You never treat your workforce like shite. And you pay them according to how they perform.

You bring people with you as a team if you want the best and want them to work with you.

You never treat them as outsiders because they will be just that...outsiders who will do the least they can get away with because there is no incentive to do otherwise.

I have worked on building but I am not a builder. Your employee ethic belongs in the stone age.

Sorry Lurpy. ;)

Cool story mate, thanks for sharing with the class.

I wouldn’t have anyone work for free but I’d like to have someone who I think would. I have worked for free. Brian would pay me for a couple of days and then I’d ask him to let me work until the jobs end anyway. He was doing me a favour letting me follow him round everywhere and pester him with questions when he didn’t need me.

I’ve paid people who have turned out to be a waste of space and while that’s the risk you take it’s still annoying!
But thats life Jess. There has to be an incentive for anybody to do anything. But some will never do anything.

Sorry Lurpy. ;)
I don't think lurpaks talking about slinging him 20 quid here and there I'm sure hes got a figure what he can pay while he's "carrying him".

But thats life Jess. There has to be an incentive for anybody to do anything. But some will never do anything.
Indeed, and for some people the incentive is purely money which isn’t the same as someone who’s incentive is also to master something with pride.

I think this is the bare basics of what drives good and bad apprentices

I don't think lurpaks talking about slinging him 20 quid here and there I'm sure hes got a figure what he can pay while he's "carrying him".
I do not doubt that at all Paul but all I said was........ 'Pay him a decent wage. Money is always an incentive to put the effort in and learn.'

Lurpy said that was crap. I didnt mean pay him a grand a week.

I do not doubt that at all Paul but all I said was........ 'Pay him a decent wage. Money is always an incentive to put the effort in and learn.'

Lurpy said that was crap.

9/10 21 year old lads are useless bums. If you pay all 10 a decent wage you won’t know whats what.

Offer an ok nothing special wage to start. 5 of them will tell you to f**k off and stay on doll.

Out of the 5 , 1 will stand out . That’s the one who will be earning what the other 9 earn a month, in a week, in the future.

9/10 21 year old lads are useless bums. If you pay all 10 a decent wage you won’t know whats what.

Offer an ok nothing special wage to start. 5 of them will tell you to f**k off and stay on doll.

Out of the 5 , 1 will stand out . That’s the one who will be earning what the other 9 earn a month, in a week, in the future.
I totally agree. But put it this way.

Job advert.

Plasterers labourer wanted £30 per day.

Nobody decent even if desperate is going to apply for that.

....................................................................................................

Plasterers labourer/improver wanted £80.00 per day upwards. Good wage to right lad.

Then you may get someone half decent and you will find out the re***ds straight away.