underfloor heating with tiles

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassie

This is how I do the job...
seal the floor, then lay your heating wires..
when all taped down, get the sparky to check everything is working ok..
Then lay a latex screed over the wires ( this is a must , if you ever need to replace a broken tile, and you havent screeded the floor, you will break the wire and the heating system is ruined )
seal the latex, then tile the floor, ( heating turned off ) grout, and leave the heating off for 24 hrs, then over 5 days build the heating up gragually, day by day..
if laying on a timber floor the above is fine
If laying on a concrete floor, fit insulation board ( Knauf ) this will retain the heat to the tiles, otherwise the heat will be lost through the concrete substrate, rendering all your hard work pretty useless.... underfloor heating gives the tiles a nice warm feel... or if your tight.. buy some slippers..lol

the heating wire method always looks a bit mickey mouse to me. i prefer the underfloor pipe system.

Good idea having the latex screed on top I'm sure I'd seen it done without before!
I think pipes and cables both have a place cables are ideal for bathrooms etc when major building works aren't going on no need to kango up floors for the insualtion and screed depth or pipe trays to fit if suspended. Haven't gotta find somewhere to stick a manifold either.
Newbuild or extension the pipes are a no brainer such a difference having no radiators :)

my sister put the wires under the kitchen floor only used it a few times cos it was too expensive to run she now has 2 rads on the wall

I have a great little gadget that i got free somewhere years ago that you just pop the wires in and IF, I say IF, you nick the wire it sounds an alarm :RpS_thumbup:

ive got this to do, on one of the bathrooms at home.
ive just bought one of those electrical mats that you roll out,

ive got this to do, on one of the bathrooms at home.
ive just bought one of those electrical mats that you roll out,

Deffo spend the money on the insulation bats as well if you have not already they make all the difference on the cost of running it.

I like to try n use insulation boards (if the customer will pay) even on timber as it speeds up heating times even at just 6mm makes a big difference, reflects heat upwards. Used 10mm in my kitchen stuck em down and used screws with washers instead of ply used the matting but prefer the loose wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.