Venetian wetroom

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike814

A Venetian plaster shower room completed today. The client wanted a white finish with underlying movement. After extensive dabbling with sample boards the finish below was finalized and applied. One happy client!!

Tony.jpg tony4.jpg Tony 3.jpg tony 5.jpg tony 6.jpg

How much do all the sample boards cost and do u price them into a job. Seems a lot of graft to do sample boards then the cus can say "no thanks' ive changed my mind

The customer wanted a particular finish but slightly modified from the original sample board to produce slightly less movement and patterning but the job was a definite goer before creating several samples. To be honest i enjoy doing it so much i'm quite happy out in my workshop having a dabble:)

What product have you used. How is specifically suited in the wet room environment. What are the raw materials in the product ? Is there an after sealer?

Many thanks

What product have you used. How is specifically suited in the wet room environment. What are the raw materials in the product ? Is there an after sealer?

Many thanks

It is a medium grained marble and lime putty based product with a certain amount of binders and additives. It is one of the recommended finishes for use in wet areas and final coatings include 2 x Thompsons waterseal, 2 x liquid beeswax and a final topcoat of paraffin wax. By the time its completed the water can barely touch the surface.

So discounting the Thomsons and the waxes is it a usual stucco you would apply in any other area?

I hear of people using tadelakt in wetrooms is that of a different composition

So discounting the Thomsons and the waxes is it a usual stucco you would apply in any other area?

I hear of people using tadelakt in wetrooms is that of a different composition

Tadelakt is rather different from Venetian marble plaster. A soap is applied to tadelakt whilst drying and compressing which then reacts with the lime and creates a solid lime soap within the plaster which in turn creates the water resistancy. Tadelakt is classed as hydroscopic as opposed to waterproof where as the venetian is made waterproof completely by applying waterseals, waxes and topcoats

Modern Tadelakt is hydraulic lime with marble powder supplied in dry powder form and venetian plaster is slaked lime (lime putty) with various grades of marble flour/powder/chippings depending on the required finish. I believe the ancient tadelakt had pozzolans such as volcanic ash to aid the cure. It was generally applied to a loam base which caused the tadelakt to dry more evenly

The lime is basically the binder for the products whether in powder form or lime putty. The lime to the marble is what the cement is to sand in render mixes.

Thanks mike.
Who's product are u using?

What do use mostly then? Do you ever use tadelakt or do you decide on a per job basis and what the customer wants

I'm using gear from Andy Marshall at Gold Trowel. Excellant material and also excellant technical support from Andy when questions arise. I havent yet used tadelakt other than dabbling at home although i've booked a weeks tadelakt course at Gold Trowel for October. As for what the customer wants it really is a case of picking a finish from a set of samples and modifying to suit as the finishes are endless. The Carrara plaster which is medium grain is very versatile and its easily possible to create many finishes including some similar that were predominantly designed for other plasters. If you fancy doing Venetian i would really recommend doing a course and then buying some gear and practice like crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.