Wallpaper paste

Members online

@lurpak @John j @zombie @bof @Vincey and all other domestic lads.
What do you do when faced with walls covered in wallpaper paste?
I've always been of the opinion that it should be completely removed, and not by me.
Your opinions are valued, yes even yours John.
Skim it .

@essexandy I do mainly new builds or extensions . But I.ve never done owt else then pva and skim.
Did some over grit other day and hated it. .

I've had no problems going over wallpaper paste myself, just glued and skimmed.

I actually didn't realise that wasn't the norm until my mate mentioned he gets customer to sugar soap it off on his jobs.

Always just PVA . Adjust the mix ratio to what ever the condition of the surface of the wall . Sometimes let the PVA dry if the walls are silky to stop the skim sliding around .

Suggest to customer they use sugar soup on the walls ,a lot I find take great pride in the fact they have got all wallpaper off and tell us how “hard” it was to do so 80% would enjoy getting the last bit done for us in terms of prep for us before come to skim , the other 20% you could charge £100 to do it for them as a rough guide or incentive for them to have a go mate

Run sander over with 80g mesh linked to vacuum. Takes the bulk of paste and any paper bits off.

Best neutralizer is gardz. You can use that, let it dry then pva but for me sanding is quick and simple and gives best surface.
Cheap power sander (150-225mm) head with power takeoff vacuum. Bodge together with waste pipe and tape.information on YouTube.
I also built a cyclone to collect dust..
Here is mine I built..
Full of dust

Pool hose.
Bread box
Cyclone off ebay
Waste pipe fittings
Couple to any vac

zJ3FL5v.jpg

Last edited:
First wet coat will show any potential problems so don't let a lab do it

Most important when the surface is painted as it's drying times will indicate high absorption fillers and lime patches underneath

Well the reason I ask is because I've always told customers to remove all wallpaper and to use sugar soap or similar to wash off the paste.
Builder seems baffled that a. I'm not interested in stripping wallpaper and b. that you shouldn't be skimming over the paste.
Also seems to think that we should just join in as part of the 'team' and just do whatever needs doing to get the job done, even though we're on a price.

Well the reason I ask is because I've always told customers to remove all wallpaper and to use sugar soap or similar to wash off the paste.
Builder seems baffled that a. I'm not interested in stripping wallpaper and b. that you shouldn't be skimming over the paste.
Also seems to think that we should just join in as part of the 'team' and just do whatever needs doing to get the job done, even though we're on a price.
It's a price so unless you stated prep your choice , never sugar soaped unless glossy paint , as topspead said , it'll show up , else crack on , I've never had any problems lurpack mentions

If this builder wants to pay tradesman’s dough to do labourers work (and you have the time) then just crack on and do it mate. If the builder expects you to strip paper for nothing then just tell him to do one cheeky c**t!

If this builder wants to pay tradesman’s dough to do labourers work (and you have the time) then just crack on and do it mate. If the builder expects you to strip paper for nothing then just tell him to do one cheeky c**t!
Time is of a premium at the moment. We're trying to work his job in on wet days (his choice) whilst doing a render. So he's in a rush but expects us to fanny about doing labourers work, he then lets us down with materials and generally f**k**g about not getting bits ready. Then it's "when will you be finished?".

I worked for a builder that took that attitude! “Do us a favour? Just insulate... everywhere”

Um, how bout noooooooooo ?!

Time is of a premium at the moment. We're trying to work his job in on wet days (his choice) whilst doing a render. So he's in a rush but expects us to fanny about doing labourers work, he then lets us down with materials and generally f**k**g about not getting bits ready. Then it's "when will you be finished?".
At least when you’re done you can put him on your ‘don’t answer the phone’ list :numberone:

Sounds familiar mate, typical “builder”!
Don’t worry the Christmas break is only around the corner. ;)

sounds like one of them where payment will be next issue

If I was answering him my sentence would end in off unless there was day work involved, to which I must add we don’t strip wall paper, don’t mind bits but not seventh of a wall let alone a whole room

@lurpak @John j @zombie @bof @Vincey and all other domestic lads.
What do you do when faced with walls covered in wallpaper paste?
I've always been of the opinion that it should be completely removed, and not by me.
Your opinions are valued, yes even yours John.
Just as @Wayners succinctly described; a good sanding is what I do. I do this as habit on most rough reskims. I just use my old pole sander, only takes a few minutes to do an average room

One of these is £70 from screwfix. Bodge on vacuum..80g disk..It's got to be clean dustfree environment. Live long and prosper ect
ae235