Waterproof plaster for wetrooms

decoraddict

I love the look of Tadelakt, but it looks too dangerous for a DIY-er to attempt. Is there another kind of waterproof plastering method that gives the same kind of seamless look that a novice could do (or could be applied by the guy whose doing the regular plastering round the rest of the house).

I'd love to pay an expert plasterer to create it for us but we are on a budget - would be so sad to resort to tiles though. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Don’t know about it personally but these guys on here have got fountains more knowledge and experience than me. As a diyer I think you are brave to try doing it yourself if you want a seamless finish as with all due respect as a novice it will probably not be at the level a plasterer would do it. If your a diyer have you looked at splash panel?!? May be a bit easier for you

Dont you put cement fiberboard on the walls and tile them for showers and wet rooms?

I love the look of Tadelakt, but it looks too dangerous for a DIY-er to attempt. Is there another kind of waterproof plastering method that gives the same kind of seamless look that a novice could do (or could be applied by the guy whose doing the regular plastering round the rest of the house).

I'd love to pay an expert plasterer to create it for us but we are on a budget - would be so sad to resort to tiles though. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hi mate. There are other kinds but they are just as tricky to do if you don't know what your doing. If your on a budget then as mentioned maybe go with the large panels if your adverse to tiles. Your plasterer who is doing the rest of the house will either know and understand Venetian, tadelakt and microcement or they won't. If when you ask the question you get a reply such as

I'll have a go
It can't be that hard
Etc etc then don't let them near it

Thanks for all your responses - hadn't thought of waterproof paint, might take a look.
Referencing 'on a budget' ...that's why I said DIY-ing....I wouldn't want to disrespect a talented plasterer by asking them to reduce their quote!
Have discovered lite-stone which is like wall panels but is real stone so may go for that. Thank you for all your help :)

@Danny Thanks, I have looked at microcement and venetian plaster too, brought up some interesting alternative options.
I've also got a couple of quotes now from Tadelakt plasterers with samples of work and it's not as eye-wateringly expensive as I thought it might be. If we go for it, I'll feed back on here in case anyone comes back to the thread - won't be for a long time though as it's not even built yet! Thanks again